Mystery panhead info needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery panhead info needed

I can't make out the engine number from the picture. Can anyone tell me anything about this engine? Like those oil lines or any other modifications or maybe a year? Thanks
    Attached Files

Originally posted by John Guntner View Post
    I can't make out the engine number from the picture. Can anyone tell me anything about this engine? Like those oil lines or any other modifications or maybe a year? Thanks
    Only thing I can tell for sure is late 1948 thru 1954 Panhead with newer outside oiler heads.

Jerry
    Last edited by Jerry Wieland; Yesterday, 04:33 AM.

Comment

If H-D the left case appears to be 48 thru early-52 judging partly by the area around the bolt which is directly below the front left corner of the front cylinder.

If H-D the R-H case is later-48 thru early-52 judging partly by the combination of no boss for a tappet drain passage and no provision for a tappet screen.

Both cylinders appear to be for a 74ci engine judging by the relief on the left side of the top three fins.
      On the front cylinder there may also be a relief on the left side of the fourth fin from the top. Two types of relief were employed there during the Panhead era but I can’t tell if that relief is the earlier or later version.
      Both cylinders appear to have date code plates? If so their presence may rule out 48–49 model cylinders and they may even rule out early/mid-50 model cylinders.
      I see no MCC logo on either cylinder so their absence may help rule out mid-63–65 cylinders.

I assume you realise those oil lines aren’t original? But the heads may be 63–65 models which originally had the boss on the R-H side machined for an outside oil line fitting.
      Or they could be late-62 model heads. They had the boss although originally it was unmachined. But anyone could have machined the boss later on.
      Eric

Comment

Thank you both and especially you SBTwin. You're very knowledgeable on the panheads. It's been decades since I've owned one back in the 60's. Hmmm. I'm trying to obtain this panhead which is out of a chopper from back in the day. It apparently is all apart and needs reassembly. That's one of my passions. Putting these old machines back on the road. If I do manage to get it I'll likely post it on the forum. Here are some more pictures of what I hope will be my next acquisition. Thanks again guys.
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X