No announcement yet.

Voltage Drop Across Ignition Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was looking at these from Australia but they are rather odd looking. You would possibly see it through the glass when not lit up.

headlight LED 6V.jpg

Comment

Otis,

Back to the subject of your dim bulb...
      Is 4 ohms of resistance excessive? Absolutely.
      The correct reading would be .2 ohms or less. When ohms testing, be sure to completely isolate the component you are testing. If you forget, it'll give improper results.

Ohms testing can be very subjective. It's best left as a back up test, secondary, after you've performed your dynamic tests of applied voltage, voltage drop and voltage after the load.

I would recommend testing for applied voltage first. At the following: Battery, ignition switch, high/low beam switch and lastly the headlamp bulb connector. If voltage to it is incorrect, perform a voltage drop test and fix the faulty area found during the test. Ruling on the voltage drop test is typically 0.6 VDC cumulatively on the circuit being tested. If all is well move onto the following below...

The test you want to perform is "voltage after the load" . This is a dynamic test. Your results should show next to 0 volts DC. If you have present voltage after the load, clean all your grounds correctly and proper illumination will return to the headlamp.

Hope this helps,
      Duke Kleman
      ​​​

Comment

I got mine here. If you look under 'Agents and Dealers' they are available in the US as well.

Page Title (classicandvintagebulbs.com)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS47Chief1991 View Post
          I was looking at these from Australia but they are rather odd looking. You would possibly see it through the glass when not lit up.

You can see it, but it's not too bad.

20240107_154452.jpg

Comment

Thank you Peter. Very helpful info.

Comment

Many six volt bikes were re-wired later with thinner 12 volt wires, so watch out for voltage drop from this. I'd also repeat the need for a good ground connection.

Comment

Good news! I cleaned the switch contacts and got them to .3 ohms and then cleaned most of the contacts on the rest of the bike. Voltage not running at the headlight with everything drawing is 5.96v and in the upper 6s when running. I then installed the H4 led light and it’s very bright with bike running or off. Thanks.

Comment

Back on the road!

Comment

Howdy sir,

That represents the newer/newest generation in LED lighting for which I’ve used them from the start and these are superior (to my previous recommendations). Number one. They are not voltage sensitive like the first generation and can be used on crude cut out/3rd brush charging systems having more head room for voltage variation. Outputs at 6000k (natural sun light) were unheard off with the first LED iterations in this compact configuration, often with large heat sinks and or fans. I have 8 in service on everything from Indians to /2 BMW’s to include my Knuckle below where all three illuminated pull less amps than one incandescent main headlight bulb and on a 32E 2 brush/electronic voltage regulator can pretty much run with impunity. I converted my long neck spots to bayonets and run hi/low headlight bulbs bridged (no single element spots light bulbs available yet). The head of the heat sinks must be contoured to fit the inner convex curve of the lense. These are available in the US at the link below.
                    https://www.ledlight.com/p15d-30-led...ed-ncnrnw.aspx
                    Cheerio,
                    Peter
                    1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Good information. Thanks

Comment

I like your style PRG.

Comment

Yah Peter that chicken has it going on! I hope all is well on your end.
                          DrSprocket

Comment

Howdy Fellas,

We spend a lot of time in Key West, famous for among other things, free range chickens, primarily in Old Towne. In nearly 30 years have probably only seen one squashed on the street. They are spectacularly evasive, roosters running under moving cars chasing each other and flying over scooters, just as we old guard hang small bells off of our footboard brackets for good luck, MrChicken rides on the bars to ward off errant motorists when we’re away from the island. Rich, just returned from the Eagle River Road Run, typical of Badger run events, huge turn out, superbly organized, 300 bikes. A year ago 10-12 of us from across the country went to Eureka Springs, AR and had our own 3 day non road run for which the National held the 40th anniversary of the DJ there using our maps. 3 chaps from that first one were there riding to include the indomitable Jerry Ottawa , 86 years young.
                            Cheerio,
                            Peter
                            1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Key West Chickens!

DSCN0855.JPG DSCN0856.JPG DSCN0870.jpg IMG_3504.jpg DSCN0894.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS47Chief1991 View Post
                                Key West Chickens!

DSCN0855.JPG
                                Did it cross the road? Why? LOL
                                AMCA #41287
                                1972 FX Boattail Night Train
                                1972 Sportster project
                                1971 Sprint SS350 project
                                1982 FXR - AMCA 99.25 point restoration
                                1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
                                1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original