Foot Clutch Pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foot Clutch Pedal

How tight does one make the nut on the pedal pivot shaft?
    thanks
    vph-d

Don't know what the official procedure is. I tighten mine until the pedal still rocks freely, but stays where you put it.

Comment

Originally posted by vph-d View Post
      How tight does one make the nut on the pedal pivot shaft?
      thanks
      vph-d
      Its a matter of how sweet and fresh your assembly is, vph-d,...

Growing up working on tired and abused veteran machines, where the friction was never smooth through the full arc, I learned to never, ever trust the dampener anyway; Rule #1 was always to get into neutral before you stopped. Its only a "suicide clutch" when you rely upon it.

Face it, a stiff dampener robs you of feel for the clutch. Why would anyone want that?
      My wife and I both preferred that it engaged itself freely for a smooth launch. This also allowed for more comfortable operation with a passenger, as you can merely toe-down on the heel. Your ankle doesn't need to be double-jointed.

But a stiff pedal is certainly appropriate for fording streams and treacherous cow paths!

Fording 9.jpg

zHVpz.jpg

....Cotten
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-18-2024, 10:47 AM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks guys, light it is, as I don't ride in mud much...
        vph-d

Comment

Originally posted by vph-d View Post
          Thanks guys, light it is, as I don't ride in mud much...
          vph-d
          Ideally, Vph-d,...

If your hardware is still square, and the bushing true,
          You theoretically should be able to adjust it where it stays in any position, but the force needed to move the pedal still leaves you enough feel to avoid lurching and lopeing on the launch.

Please let us know if you achieve this,...

And then if the pedal still stays in any position with the machine idling, Thanks!

....Cotten
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-19-2024, 11:04 AM.
          AMCA #776

Comment

We''ll see how it goes, I'm wrapping up a long term 45 FL restoration project. Just started trying to sort out the exhaust system pieces from two different suppliers. So far, the front pipe seems too long...
            thanks,
            vph-d

Comment

I use late 5 plate clutches and springs even in my foot clutch machines. Makes the clutch easy to use, not as much friction required with the softer springs and makes use of the pedal very easy.
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I bought a complete system for my (coincidentally) 45 FL from Gas Box. He told me he leaves the headers a little long and expect to cut them. The front needed a little off and the rear was fine. Overall everything fit well.

Comment

My stroked Pan with a hack was pretty hard on clutches, Folks!

(Especially since they were cobbled from swapmeet refugees.)

Even when no slip was heard or felt, it still managed to "blue" the steel plates in a flower pattern.
                  So I added a big die spring in the middle, and then I could go back to punishing it.

Your foot doesn't need hand springs.

....Cotten
                  PS: Back to the pedal, I really encourage the use of the 36812-65 stop pin, where theres a hole for it, "correct" or not!
                  AMCA #776

Comment

It appears I'll need to shorten the front pipe at the head end as the s pipe end is too low to align with the squish pipe. I have a 5 plate -68 clutch set to use, haven't had any decent 1/2 plates to use for a 3 1/2 plate set up in quite awhile.
                    Thanks,
                    vph-d

Comment

Working...
                    X