Intake to short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake to short

Pulled the manifold off of a 52 panhead with o ring conversion to replace the o rings.the manifold’s is 2 7/8 long and is about 1/8 to short.any else come across this problem and what kind of fix did you come up with fix or a longer manifold thanks Elmo

Not an expert like Cotton, Rubone, and others but that works out to 1/16th per side and with expansion and contraction due to heating up and cooling down and the rubbers filling the void with some flex? Would an interference fit be to tight?
    DrSprocket

Comment

Does it leak, Elmo?

....Cotten

PS: Cotton may well be an expert, but I am still a student.
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-17-2024, 01:56 PM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Trying to bring a bike back to life that been sitting for 30 years thought this was a good place to start . The bike was always hard to start back in the day so they were probably bad back then have to check the o ring conversion to see if that leaks . Just thought the manifold looked short the S and S is 3 inches the other replacements are the same width as mine thanks will keep you posted. I may have put the cart before the horse

Comment

Botched O-ring conversions, Elmo,..

Probably trashed more Pan heads than even 'hard seats', so please test the inserts before other worries.

...Cotten
          AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by elmo View Post
            Trying to bring a bike back to life that been sitting for 30 years thought this was a good place to start . The bike was always hard to start back in the day so they were probably bad back then have to check the o ring conversion to see if that leaks . Just thought the manifold looked short the S and S is 3 inches the other replacements are the same width as mine thanks will keep you posted. I may have put the cart before the horse
            All factory O-ring manifolds are the same length from '55-'65 so you won't find a longer one unless you to the aftermarket for a stroker version.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Elmo,
              During the conversion process you will get variations in the nipple install height. However a quality correct Viton O -ring is more than capable of sealing the approximate gap of 0.0625" per side you mentioned.
              As Cotton asked, have you resealed your existing components and have an actual leak or just seeing the current gap and asking a pro active question?

Comment

i always wrap one turn of electrical tape over o rings before installing the clamps. they never leak this way for 38 years.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead 61 View Post
                  i always wrap one turn of electrical tape over o rings before installing the clamps. they never leak this way for 38 years.
                  Curmudgeons laughing2.jpg

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead 61 View Post
                    I've been doing the same thing. This also helps hold the manifold in place while you put the clamps on.

Comment

Originally posted by PanheadFred1 View Post

I've been doing the same thing. This also helps hold the manifold in place while you put the clamps on.
                      Either of you guys see what gas does to electrical tape?

Stooges facepalm.jpg

....Cotten
                      AMCA #776

Comment

Yes Cotton but he's saying over the o-rings and under the clamps. No gas should be getting through to the tape passed the o-rings if all is correct right? Just sayin'.
                        DrSprocket

Comment

Originally posted by RichO View Post
                          Yes Cotton but he's saying over the o-rings and under the clamps. No gas should be getting through to the tape passed the o-rings if all is correct right? Just sayin'.
                          If nothing gets past the O-rings, Rich,...

Then what's the point of gumming it up with tape that's going to melt and allow the clamps to slide?

So it works when the O-rings fail?

ORING.jpg

'Goes without sayin',

...Cotten
                          PS: Viton won't do that of course, but they don't need a band-aid either.
                          Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-20-2024, 01:05 PM.
                          AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

Either of you guys see what gas does to electrical tape?

Stooges facepalm.jpg

....Cotten
                            Never had an issue Cotten. Been doing it that way for ever. I'll go sit down now.

Comment

Originally posted by PanheadFred1 View Post

Never had an issue Cotten. Been doing it that way for ever. I'll go sit down now.
                              Bless your heart, Fred!

(Doing it for a feeble living for decades, I lost count of how many messes were brought to me to clean up. Thankfully, gas made it all wipe right off.)

....Cotten
                              AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                              X