New shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New shocks

Anyone have any experience with replacement shocks for my 1961 panhead my stock shocks are used up and I want to upgrade the suspension starting with new shocks next will be the front end

I used Progressive I believe it is. Used them on my 81 FXB and my 67 FLH front and back. Great results but that's just me.
    DrSprocket

Comment

It's alot of work, but if you want to remain having a stock appearance, you can modify a new shock to fit in the oem cover. I can go into details if you are interested, (you'll need a lathe and or mill) otherwise as stated above, go Progressive.
      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Factory replacement shocks have been unavailable since the 70s. Progressive is about your only choice...
        vph-d

Comment

Bob, which new shock do you modify to fit older covers? Thanks.

Comment

Otis,
            You can buy progressive shocks with covers.
            Typically they have a "progressive" decal on the cover. With a little bit of heat from a heat gun, it peals of nice and clean without glue residue. They are your best option nowadays compared to anything else that replicates that look.
            IMG_20230312_165325258~2.jpg
            Here's a picture of a recent set of progressive shocks and their covers I installed on a customers bike.

Hope this helps you out,
            Duke

Comment

Originally posted by otis71 View Post
              Bob, which new shock do you modify to fit older covers? Thanks.
              Otis,

Give me a break because its been over 20 years since I did my set, (ask me questions if I'm not clear enough). Going off my notes and memory. Here goes. It was a Gabriel gas shock #82607 I think. I know Monroe shock bodies were too large to fit inside the stock spring. I think Gabriel are 1.625 diameter where Monroe are 1.750 diameter. Again, going from memory on diameters, (I didn't dig a shock out before typing this).

You basically are going to use the top part of your original shock, because the flange on the Gabriel is not large enough for the HD cover, and the bottom part of the new Gabriel.

On your oem worn out shocks, pull out the plunger and cut it off about 2" below the flange. I then held the flange in the lathe, (it will fit in your 3 jaw chuck jaw recesses if you have them or bottom it out on the chuck face), indicate the plunger and drill the end for a center. Turn the diameter and thread it 3/8-24 I believe, leaving a 3/8 diameter shoulder (approx 1/4" long) past the threads to locate in the new shock. The Gabriel shock plunger is alot longer than the HD oem one. You will need to calculate the extended length (or shock overall length) compared to HD and cut that plunger so when you thread the oem top part on the new Gabriel bottom the combined assembly is the same. Hold the Gabriel plunger in the lathe, (if your headstock is large enough diameter to accept the shock body, otherwise hold it in a V-Block on the mill. I put a V-Block on the side of a Bridgeport table extending the shock below and swung the head over. Drill and tap this 3/8-24 to match the top and c'bore 3/8 diameter to accept the boss you put on the top piece so the two mate up concentric when threaded together. Loctite the threads on assembly.

So now you can use all your original parts but have a new inside shock. It is a little work, but the bottom of the Progressive is not the same as the old 'ramp' adjustments. I'm not into judging, but it doesn't look stock. Nothing is worn out but the shock, so why not just replace the shock, right? Good luck, easy, just need the machines to do it.
              Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Thanks for the information. When I initially read your post I was thinking maybe you used a later oem shock that would be very similar. Probably with a little planning many different ones could be persuaded to work.

Comment

I have purchased the progressive shocks they should be delivered today or tomorrow hopefully get them installed this weekend I will post a reply and let you know how they work out. Thanks for all the comments

Comment

Working...
                  X