Identify Piston ratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify Piston ratio

How can I visualy tell what compression ratio a piston is?

I'll try to be nice here.... You can't. Well maybe if you had other values.

Compression ratio is the volume of cycl compressed to a smaller value. ie. 10:1 = a volume compressed to one tenth it's size.

google search "measuring compression ratio" for more info.

Comment

The question is how can I tell if the piston is a FL 7.25:1FL or a 8.0:1FLH Piston for 3 7/16 bore

Comment

Rick- The size of the piston has no bearing on the compression ratio that it can create. Have you done a google search on the subject..? Maybe I'm not understanding your question correctly.
        Can you re-phrase it..? -Steve

Comment

Don't the FL pistons have thicker rings?
          VPH-D

Comment

Rick
            If you could compare the pistons side by side the 8 to1 would have a higher dome.

Comment

The correct answer is the FL use's a wider compresion ring by forum member VPH-D and I should have known that from looking in parts books. But, side by side one looks about 1/32 higher.

The reason I had this question was because one looks higher and one has the letter "B" stamped on top and the other has a "C" on top as I stated in a previous forum.

Comment

Acording to my parts book 1965 and up FL and FLH used the same rings. I checked the pistons with hight gage and they are the same.

Comment

Working...
                X