Start number for 1948-56 Panhead SNs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start number for 1948-56 Panhead SNs

I'm aware H-D used at least four start numbers for 48-65 general production model Pan SNs but I'm particularly interested in obtaining factory evidence of the start number for 48-56. I believe it was 1000 partly because of an article by Herb Wagner in the winter 2009 issue of The Antique Motorcycle.

In that article and elsewhere Herb mentioned Harley model layout sheets but does the AMCA have layout sheets for 48-56? And/or does the AMCA have any other factory documentation regarding start numbers for Pan SNs? And if so can it be posted on this forum for the benefit of all. Thanks.
    Eric

During the early 60s Harley started odd years with an odd number ie. 1xxx, 3xxx, 5xxx and so on and even years with an even number 2xxx, 4xxx and so on. Depending on the year 2000 would have been the lowest number possible. Somewhere on the inter web there is the exact years the MoCo did this.

Comment

Originally posted by otis71 View Post
      Somewhere on the inter web there is the exact years the MoCo did this.
      Thanks Otis but I know the exact years for the E-O code, partly because I did my own research. I first read about the code many years ago but later on some different opinions showed up so I looked into it and I found that Herb Wagner and Bruce Palmer were correct in saying the code was used for 60–69. Later on they said that four different start numbers were used for Big Twin SNs during that period.

But what I'm mostly after at the moment is proof of the start number for 48–56 Pan SNs. Herb said it was 1000 and I believe him because he was referring to info on Harley model layout sheets. I have model layout sheets for 31 and 33 but it would be good to have at least one of the 48–56 model layout sheets so it can be used as factory evidence whenever the subject crops up. It may also be possible the start number for 48–56 is on motor specification sheets and I have some of those for certain earlier years but I don’t have any for 48–56.
      Eric

Comment

Working...
      X