sidecar on 1950 FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sidecar on 1950 FL

Just curious, was there a specific frame used for sidecars or were all FL frames capable of mating with a sidecar? What are some considerations when attempting to mate a sidecar to a '50 FL, assuming it can be done?

Thanks,
    Loch

Any stock Big Twin H-D frame and H-D sidecar are compatible with the factory mounts. You can put any sidecar from '36-'57 as a bolt on (and later ones with a few mods).
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Robbie.

Comment

You'll also want to make sure you have a front end that has the capability of adjustable rake. Otherwise the unit will be difficult to ride.

Comment

I plan on adding a sidecar to my 41 FL. What did they do for a stock rake springer? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by FNG1 View Post
            I plan on adding a sidecar to my 41 FL. What did they do for a stock rake springer? Thanks.
            Nothing, the springer geometry works fine with a SC. The only addition was heavier inner springs. With a stock ride control and steering damper they work great.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Rubone. I will look for the heavy inner springs

Comment

Crank your steering damper down on that ‘41.
                Ralph

Comment

OK, thanks dommi7. I know I will have to "dent" my front header pipe. Are there other clearance issues?

Comment

Originally posted by FNG1 View Post
                    OK, thanks dommi7. I know I will have to "dent" my front header pipe. Are there other clearance issues?
                    No, it should all bolt right up.
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

You'll also want to make sure you have a front end that has the capability of adjustable rake. Otherwise the unit will be difficult to ride.
                      So my wife and I talked about the sidecar and decided against it. I'm not a big sidecar fan, I think they look cool, but have no real interest in riding one. I was only really interested in the one I found because it was ridiculously low priced. My wife doesn't ride on back. She has her own motor-sickle, and she's not about to get in the sidecar. I'd be the one riding in the side car. And that's not happening. So I gave 'it the ole Spanish archer...' '...who's idea was that anyway?'

But I do have a question about the adjustable rake. What is that? Anyone have a pic of a machine with adjustable rake?

Comment

Loch,
                        Here are 2 pictures of an OEM set of adjustable triple trees that are currently listed online for sale.
                        Screenshot_20240303-054118~2.png Screenshot_20240303-053926~2.png
                        The Motor company development of these triple trees was essential for a motorcycle equipped with a sidecar and Hydra Glide style front end. This allowed the rake angle to be changed at the steering axis in turn changing the "Trail" number measured at the surface.

Prior to the Hydra Glide, the bikes equipped with a side car had a springer front end. The springer front end has what is called a leading axle with its rocker arm design. This provides a different trail number than an OEM standard Hydra Glide.

The "trail" number measured at the surface can be altered and/or affected by many things. Especially once the Duo Glide was introduced.
                        The rear suspension added to the Duo Glide offered a variation of "Front" and "Rear" trail changes as you rode, added things to your saddlebags and a passenger.

The Duo Glide model years of 58' and 59' had a different triple tree than the 60 and later. The later models had the steering stem raked with in them...

Any how, before I go on and on anymore
                        I hope this helps,
                        Duke Kleman
                        Last edited by dukekleman; 03-03-2024, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X