Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed

Hey Fellas,

i have an old survivor chopper and i am having a hard time tuning the S&S Super E carb on it. it currently has a 72 main jet and .29 int. jet. Drag pipes

what jets are yall running for that type of set up?

bike turns on easily with the fuel enricher up but once i take it off it doesn't take long for the carb to start spitting and then shuts off.

any input is greatly appreciated.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Intake leak,& or plugged low speed circuit.
    Also many Super E have body cracked around idle mix screw.

Comment

No matter what the carb, Henry,....

It can't be re-tuned if there is a vacuum leak: http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html

This will display if you have over-tightened the clamps, or the seals have deteriorated, or even any casting porosities:

S&SPORE.jpg
      S&Spore2.jpg
      (Sorry I cannot remember who supplied the pics...)

I suggest viton O-rings, whether it leaks now or not.

....Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

As for the jets,you didnt say if 74" or 80".Those are right for 80" with open exhaust.

Comment

Henry I have an E on my 81 FXB which is 80" and I think I'm in the mid 60's or so on the main. 70+ seems a little rich. Like Duffy says when you come off your idle curcuit ( the hole is so small it will fall on it's face if it's got a speck of something. Easy to check.
          DrSprocket

Comment

Carburetor tuning varies sooo much based on many items that could be listed.
            I will say this from doing calibration work with data equipment for a very long time, the particular engine design (heads and pistons) along with whatever camshaft is in it (makes a huge difference with that exhaust system being used), an S&S carburetor and of course that exhaust makes calibrating the fuel transitions very challenging.

Just getting it to idle however should be easy, verify that your idle passageway, transitional passageways and intermediate jet for that S&S are clear. The intermediate you mentioned should actually be a 29.5 I believe. If it's a 29, it may be some knock off jet, not an S&S.
            That 29.5 should be more than sufficient to get a correct idle if all things are correct as mentioned, like air leaks and proper timing, valve adjustment, etc...

One last note, idle calibration settings should be set on a engine that is at operating temperature. This takes time and heat. Jetting idle circuits for impatient customers has been a mistake for years by many shops. To rich of mixture once operating down the road for miles causes many...other issues.

Hope this helps,
            Duke

Comment

Like Dukekleman said warm engine for tuning & then see where the idle speed screw position is.S&S says 1-1/4turn to 1-3/4 turn out from light touch on bottom.I say 1-3/4 turns is better for longer time between cleaning the low speed circuit. Adjust intermediate jet size smaller if in too far,..larger if out too far.Too many people adjust for intake leaks & that is a bad idea.I disagree with Rich on main sizes,read the tuning guide,I've tuned Shovels w/S&S for 25 years.Cleaning carbon out with warm simple green mix.hot water rinse & then carb cleaner,then air.On some CVs I have resorted to forcing hot simple green with a large plastic syringe thru the low speed..over & over.

Comment

Great suggestions, of course, Folks!

But if its sucking air, "tuning" only lengthens the fuse.

"Just get it running so I can sell it."

....Cotten
                AMCA #776

Comment

From CV Performance,Super E tuning guide.
                  From me :66 main is for 74" with stock exhaust....031 intermediate is for stock motor with intake leak

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
                    From me :66 main is for 74" with stock exhaust....031 intermediate is for stock motor with intake leak
                    A big leak or a little leak, Duffey?

Does it matter which cylinder?

Thanks,

....Cotten
                    AMCA #776

Comment

Cotten.tonque in cheek.If you need a 031,check for & fix the leak

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
                        Cotten.tonque in cheek.If you need a 031,check for & fix the leak
                        My confusion, Duffey!

I was thinking it all was 'From CV Performance,Super E tuning guide"...

I get in big trouble with punctuation.

(The yucky urinal even banned me for it.)

...Cotten
                        PS: Henry!
                        Hope you have a decent support on the assembly.. Choppers tend to be minimalist.
                        Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-01-2024, 06:00 PM.
                        AMCA #776

Comment

Hey Fellas,

Update on that old chopper. i got it dialed up and runs/idles great now.. just have to find the right sequence ritual to start it up on a cold start. been messing with the amount of prime kicks, squirts, fuel enricher, etc... but once the bike turns on its smooth as butter on how it runs and idles. thanks to everyone for the feedback and suggestions!

i love riding it but it is incredibly bouncy (pogo effect) where it jumps me out of my seat when i hit humps on the road going as slow as 20mph or so.

the fork springs do feel a little loose, if i tighten them up more would that compress and make it less bouncy for me? Again its me who is getting shot off my seat not the front end bouncing off the ground if that makes sense.

might be a stupid question but first time owning/riding a long springer front end.

any suggestions would be highly appreciated. thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X