Fuel Shut off rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Shut off rod

I want to get one of Carl's Peek tipped shut off rods , but don't know what year my tanks are ( chopper , shifter gate mount bondoed in ) . Have a shutoff rod in it now , that I bought decades ago .
    I see that there was a change between 49 & 50 ?? Is there dimensions that set them apart ?

I believe the only difference is in the fuel valve seat where the fuel line connects. The early is for a tapered fuel line style and the later is for a nut and rubber seal fuel line, so it just depends on what you have now. Early female line, later line with seal.
    Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Will Carl sell you the rod separately, 1970?

Unless your rod is a plastic repop, it is often easiest, and far cheaper, to just dress it on a lathe.

Takes five minutes.

....Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Bob is right in the difference between the 2 seats and that is what your fuel line connects to, so if you have a flare fitting nut or a compression fitting nut is the only difference.
        Carl
        http://www.carlscyclesupply.com

Comment

Thanks , guys . Question for Cotton , if I were to "dress it " on a lathe , what would the angle be ?? And does anyone know what Carl's charges for their Peek replacement ?

Comment

Originally posted by 1970 XLCH View Post
            Thanks , guys . Question for Cotton , if I were to "dress it " on a lathe , what would the angle be ?? And does anyone know what Carl's charges for their Peek replacement ?

If you set the toolpost to 45°, it should match the original 90° tip; Just dress it "clean".

While its still firm in the chuck, cram the seat on with a wrench a few times to re-form it, until it passes the 'suck test'.

Carl is on this forum; I suspect he only offers the entire new assembly.

....Cotten
            AMCA #776

Comment

Spring for whatever the cost of Carl's assembly now is. It will never cause you anymore problems. You must be sure that the rod and seat are correctly aligned and that is required. The factory made a tool for this.

Comment

I’m running Carl’s on 4 bikes with great results as long as everything is aligned as a previous member stated. Last one I bought was $150 including shipping and Carl guarantees them for life.

Comment

I cut the World's First PEEK petcock tip back about ‎2012, Folks!

(Immediately, I felt foolish.)

PEEK seals for the seats, however,....

Petcockseals2.jpg

Have been so popular that I must do another production soon.

....Cotten
                  PS: I just doubled my flat-rate to dress a rod to ten minutes (ten bucks).
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-08-2024, 08:21 PM.
                  AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                  X