Draining Fluid from Crankcase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draining Fluid from Crankcase

I'm working on my 64 FL that has been sitting for several years, and when I opened the fuel tank it was bone dry. When I checked the oil tank it was the same way. I know both places had fluid in them at one time, now I'm concerned that the fuel has drained into the bottom end. Other than moving the motor to the right so I can remove the drain plug from the left case, does anyone have any better way to remove fluid from the crank case?

Since the left-case drain is not practicably accessible, Brian,..

Our only clue from the original design is that the left mainshaft 'slinger' also serves as an escape valve for sumping, dumping into the primary cover. (But if you've got a modern seal for a belt-drive, yer screw'd).

Fuel contamination would be hard on everything (especially the case sealer), so I usually threw the whole machine on its left side (with cushion, of course), and placed strategic drool pans where appropriate, including removing lines to the oil pump.

You might turkey-baster kero or diesel in the timing plug, and stir it up well turning it through, too.

Patiently let it all drool out, which will take some time this time of year, Good luck!

.....Cotten
    PS: Your gastank wouldn't have emptied radically if the petcock worked; Most can be reconditioned quickly and easily if you have a lathe.
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-24-2024, 02:56 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks for the info, I will give that a try.

Comment

Honestly, Brian,...

I hoped somebody had a better idea!

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I've been able to remove the crankcase drain without moving the frame.

Comment

I never remove the drain plug, that is just a good way to create a problem.A siphon pump down the timing hole will remove most everything in the cases, removing the return oil line and cranking the engine will deplete the cam cover side.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
            X