Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed!

Hello Everyone,

I have been riding motorcycles (modern bikes) for many years but i have finally dipped my toes into the classic antique rides! have always loved old bikes and i pulled the trigger.
    i acquired a 1958 Panhead that was rebuilt and restored by the past owner but after he passed the wife sold it and i am now trying to get it running. it actually did run and i was able to get it to fire but now it seems like the battery might be dead or something else electrical is wrong with it but thats an issue for another day.

what i am trying to figure out has something to do with either the rear brake or tranny maybe?

so when the bike is on neutral and i roll the bike, every 7 feet or so the rear brakes lock up and is very very hard to roll the bike. i keep pushing really hard and then it goes back to normal then after another 5-7 feet it goes back to being hard and really hard to make it roll. almost feels like someone is pressing down on the rear brake when i am rolling it. when i put it up on the jack same thing. the wheel spins freely around until it reaches a point where the wheel just stops and locks up.

Any ideas? any input would be appreciated.
    Thank you!

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

It could be a new chain master link on an old chain. Remove the chain and see if that makes a difference.

Comment

My shovelhead did that and it wound up being the transmission countershaft bushings. Hope you have better luck.
      AMCA #41287
      1971 Sprint SS350 project
      1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
      1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
      1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
      96" Evo Softail self built chopper
      2012 103" Road King "per diem"
      plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Henry, I would try the following...

1) Elevate the rear wheel of the motorcycle with your center stand. Locate the master link, clean the link and put a color indentifiier on the link. Rotate the rear rear wheel in the forward direction and note if it makes a complete revolution, or two or three, etc...This information will be telling of the issue at hand.
        If it stops prior to one revolution, rotate the wheel backwards and take note of its position when stopped in that direction.

2) Remove to master link only, leave all other things untouched and roll the rear wheel assembly in a forward direction. Next Roll the rear wheel in a backwards direction. Note any stop points. If the wheel stops in either direction you most likely have brake shoe liners that had broke away from the brake shoes themselves and are binding within the brake drum.
        Note: If the rear wheel spins freely with the rear chain removed in both directions, the problem lies with in the transmission. Of course, If the master link wasn't noted contacting in less than one revolution previously in step 1

Hope this helps you diagnose your issue,
        Duke

Comment

try bleeding the rear brake and see what happens.

Comment

I'm thinking it's your chain. Either the master link as mentioned above or maybe it is adjusted too tight, as in adjusted to the loose part of the chain as apposed to the tight part.

Comment

Check to see if your rear sprocket dust ring is hitting on the brake backing plate.
              Carl
              http://www.carlscyclesupply.com

Comment

Working...
              X