push rods for mid to late panheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• push rods for mid to late panheads

Pulled a set of panhead push rods out today, and noticed for the first time that the bottom end of the rod (where the adjustment stuff is) will spin if you put a wrench on the hex. This must mean that that end is also pressed in like the ball is at the top of the rod. I haven't taken this part out of the rod yet, but was wondering if one might be able to cure the situation that comes from valve seats being cut into the head a tad deep. I've seen and experienced trying to install push rods over the hydraulic units and finding that the adjustment end of the rod is too long. I know they make a tool to "jimmy" the rod into place. But what if you took the pressed in piece out of the rod and turned enough stock off it to make the installation easier? Any body with any info, input, ideas about this? Also, that thread on the adjustment screw is 1/4-32, right?

I don't see why not. If you have to "jimmy" them in you'll have to "jimmy " them out..... or loosen the head.

Comment

Yes, you can shorten them and re-fit the ends. However, if the ends are loose fitting already, I'd consider a new set of pushrods. They obviously should not be loose and it's not common to find them loose on motors so I'd question the quality of those particular/brand of pushrods

Comment

If you are using pushrods that fit stock hydraulic units the bottom bushing that presses into the pushrod should have 2 flats that measure 7/16" not a hex. Possibly what you have is AM. The thread for the adjuster is 9/32-32 on stock pushrods. To answer your question I agree that you can shorten the pushrod. Actually Shovelhead pushrods can be changed to a Pan by shortening the tube and changing the top to the larger radius 'ball'.
        Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Working...
        X