gas tank restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas tank restoration

Can anyone recommend a gas tank restoration service, preferably close to the east coast? Thanks in advance!

I don't know what sort of restoration service you need, but if its resealing a tank ,I've had great success with " Red Kote " tank sealer. It was a labor intensive , {though very easy) process of cleaning and resealing my fuel tank that has been everything I needed . It's still good a number of years later and I would use it again if needed. I followed the direction explicitly. Hope this helps......Smitty

Comment

Thanks for the response, I have a set that needs welding etc.there is a guy who takes them apart and repairs them and tins them with solder but he is on the west coast.
      Last edited by 65flh; 09-20-2023, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 65flh View Post
        Thanks for the response, I have a set that needs welding etc.there is a guy who takes them apart and repairs them and tins them with solder but he is on the west coast.
        Panhead tanks were never soldered (terneplate) in the first place, 65flh...

Exactly what tanks are you needing to fix?

...Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I have a set of 65 tanks, with small spots rusted through on each one, on the bottom

Comment

Originally posted by 65flh View Post
            I have a set of 65 tanks, with small spots rusted through on each one, on the bottom
            I wouldn't rule out a soft-solder spot repair, 65flh,..

But the tanks don't come 'apart' like an Indian, or VLs I guess, etc.

Only a decade ago or so, any radiator shop could handle it quite well, but times have changed.

Is there any structural damage to tend to first, like dents, or cracks at the brackets?

....Cotten
            PS: 65s are notorious for being flimsy around the petcock.

(Although my contrivance can inspect as well as correct, the factory tool can only be applied one way: With a hammer, I'm told.)
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-20-2023, 03:24 PM.
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

H-D tanks were Parkerized internally so all of that would have to be sandblasted off before any internal brazing, or soldering, but Parkerinzing was a very good protectant so I wouldn't mess what is still intact.. I've taken H-D tanks apart, but only as a last resort to fix deep dents. Otherwise, I would leave the seams alone and fix the tank where you can on the outside. Scrupulous cleaning, sealing, and external soldering is least obtrusive in my opinion.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

If you can post some pictures it would be helpful.

Comment

I had great success with cold repairing an original paint WL tank using Proseal aviation fuel tank sealant. This is available at AIRCRAFT SPRUCE & SPECIALITY, as well as other suppliers.
                  I carefully cut out the rotted section and made it an oval shape. I made and shaped an oval patch that was larger than the part of the tank I cut out. I epoxied a bolt without its head to the repair piece. I made a bridge over the repair section out of wood to pull the repair piece and sealant tight to inside of tank and allowed to cure. Remove the exoxied bolt and body work as you please.Has successfully held without leaking for more than 12 years. My mission was to not disturb the original paint on the tank and this worked out well

If you go this route you will need MEK for clean up and thinning. Proseal is what is used to seal aircraft fuel tanks that run jet fuel as well as 100 octane avgas. Use gloves and work cleanly. This stuff gets all over if not careful.

Comment

Working...
                  X