1965 FL belly numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 FL belly numbers

I recently picked up a 1965 FL basket case that has been apart for over 40 years. The left case has a good belly number but the right case only has the digit 4 beside the center case bolt boss. It doesn't look like the number has been ground off. Does anyone know if HD made any mistakes on the belly numbers on the 1965 FL models. I've attached pictures. I have Palmers restoration books but they only go to 1964.
    Thanks
    Pete::::::::::::;;;;;;;;;;
    Attached Files

Replacement right case. There were no stamping mistakes, but there were failures and repairs.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Rubone an HD replacement case is much more desirable than a case someone found at a swap meet. I thought it was strange any other belly numbers have 6 digits not just 1

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Engelman View Post
        I thought it was strange any other belly numbers have 6 digits not just 1
        Do you mean the left BN only has six characters? BNs for 65 Pans usually have seven characters but sometimes the code number is stamped so lightly that it’s hard to see and sometimes it appears to be missing. Does your left BN have code number 1 at the beginning?

And just out of curiosity has the R-H case got provision for a tappet oil screen? Thanks.
        Eric

Comment

Thanks Eric
          The left case BN is 65-5491 from what I can see once I split the cases and clean them I may see more of a number. Yes the right side has a tappet screen.
          Pete::::::::;;;;;;;;;

Comment

That left case looks like it is machined as a 1955 to 1964 case. 1965 to 1969 did not have the lip where the primary bolts up. Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
              That left case looks like it is machined as a 1955 to 1964 case. 1965 to 1969 did not have the lip where the primary bolts up. Jerry
              I think the reflection got you like me in vintage pics. I don't see a lip.
              Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Thanks Eric
                The left case BN is 65-5491 from what I can see once I split the cases and clean them I may see more of a number. Yes the right side has a tappet screen.
                1965 is the first year that there is no relay boss on the right case above the generator.

When you ordered replacement cases sometimes it did not matchup cosmetically exactly to what you were replacing. I have seen NOS left panhead case halves with stars on the end of the serial number which did not really start until mid 1970's on production cases.

In the 1980's I ordered a set of replacement cases for a 1976 Superglide. What I got was a set of Evo cases machined for Shovelhead cylinders, late Evo oil pump and the serial number was stamped on the left case instead of the right case. I sold that bike in Colorado at the big swapmeet in Denver and darn near went to jail for it. When the new owner went to get it inspected, it was seized by Colorado CID because of all the oddities on the cases and also because when they asked HD about the replacement cases HD claimed that no replacements had been issued against that serial number. Luckily I still had all the paperwork that had been sent me when I purchased them and my local dealer also wrote a statement to the effect.

Jerry

Comment

Jerry the VIN on the left case states the engine as a 65 FL and it looks like a good number and it was registered in BC
                  Thanks
                  Pete:::::;;;;;;

Comment

Thanks Eric
                    Thanks Pete. I can’t see anything wrong with the visible characters in your left BN and they all appear consistent with factory stamping. I only have a couple of clear examples of code 1 for a 65 so if your BN has it I’d expect it to look like this, with a short top serif at about forty-five degrees but no serif across the base.

Obviously your BN being consistent with factory stamping is one of the things that makes me think your left case is indeed a 65 model. And the area for the inner primary looks flat to me as it should. Also notice the area I highlighted below because it started looking like this as of 65 models.

For 65 Pan SNs the year characters were applied in at least three different ways and I imagine yours fall into the third category meaning I’d expect your 6 and 5 to look like this, not only as far as the type of characters is concerned but also that they may look like they were done with a tandem stamp.

If your left case is stamped FL you may find a sans serif 7 on top of it near the hole for the rear mounting bolt.

One of the reasons I asked about provision for a tappet oil screen was because not all 65s had it. But judging by your left BN I think the original R-H case would have had provision for a screen so that may have been taken into account when the replacement was issued, provided of course that particular replacement was meant to go with that left case. Another requirement for a replacement R-H case for a 65 would have been provision for an external oil line to the heads.

Eric

Comment

Thank you Eric.
                      Pete:::::;;;;;;;;;

Comment

Working...
                      X