darn fork lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• darn fork lock

...and after getting the lock out..and removing the welch plug.. I still CAN'T GET THE SLIDING LOCK PIN TO MOVE at all...any ideas short of drilling it out also and finding a replacement..are they available anwhere?..49er

Have you tried flooding the pin recess with WD-40, or something similar? I once had a stuck dowel pin removed from a crankcase oil passage by a welder who stuck? welded? a welding rod to the exposed end of the dowel. The welding rod provided something to grab onto to remove the dowel. This dowel pin was blocking the oil passage to the top end on a Panhead. Someone had tried to adapt a later aluminum oil pump onto the motor. Yikes
    VPH-D

Comment

Hey 49er:- You probably have that lock plunger out by now. For whatever its worth, Mine was rusted in for decades but I got it out. I used some WD 40, then thru the tumbler bore, I was able to just tap it kind sideways, a bit each way. Also I tapped it in against the spring from the welch plug side. It slowly moved back and forth till I could get and pry behind it and out it came. Took about 20 minutes and there it was. Wasnt even damaged from the slender punch I used, I guese its harded steel and is back in use. Like I say, you likely have yours out by now but maybe somebody out there could make use of my experience in getting the little stuburn ****er out...Joe

Comment

I've tried to get some stubborn stuff that was stuck in the handlebars of my XA out by heating the handlebars. Maybe the same principle can be applied to fork locks?

Comment

Working...
        X