Flooding on startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flooding on startup

My 52 FL floods very easy, making it difficult to start often. It was very apparent at the recent PA road run, where a couple of guys told me they always start their panheads at full throttle because of flooding at startup. I have tried that with minimal success. I have built, owned and ridden this bike for over 40 years and in the past have started it, basically, very similar to my big twin flathead. When cold, two or three prime kicks with throttle closed and full choke, then choke off, retard spark, 1/4 throttle and kick. When warm, just 1/4 throttle and kick. It has always been harder to start then my flathead and much easier to flood. However, I live at about 5000 feet, so thought maybe starting issues at the road run were somewhat related to altitude difference.
    Before I left for the road run I completed a tune-up; adjusted solid lifters, set points, cleaned plugs and checked timing. When I returned I pulled the float bowl and set float level, and noted that it was a little low before I checked it. I went for a test ride yesterday. I flooded it when cold with 3 prime kicks and had to kick the crap out of it with full throttle to get it started. On the ride when warmed up, I shut it down 3 times; first time kicked it full throttle and it flooded so had to kick it a bunch with full throttle to clean it out and start it, second time tried 1/4 throttle and flooded again resulting in a bunch of kicking with full throttle to clean it out, last time tried full throttle and it fired right up. When I got home, shut it down and let it sit for 5 minutes and attempted full throttle start; once again flooded it immediately. When I checked the plugs, the front one was maybe a little light and the rear about right.
    I should note that when running the bike performs very well.
    Any thoughts about the tendency to flood at start up on this bike?

Originally posted by 48Flatty View Post
    ...Any thoughts about the tendency to flood at start up on this bike?
    One scenario among many, 48Flatty,

Is that your petcock has allowed the bowl to over-fill while sitting.

There are others...

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I do not understand how the tank shut-off mechanism (petcock) could over-fill the float bowl, if the needle, connected to the float, seats properly in the needle seat. I checked the needle and seat when adjusting the float level, and that works properly.

Comment

Originally posted by 48Flatty View Post
        I do not understand how the tank shut-off mechanism (petcock) could over-fill the float bowl, if the needle, connected to the float, seats properly in the needle seat. I checked the needle and seat when adjusting the float level, and that works properly.
        The needle is never absolute, 48!

Especially overnight. That's why there is a petcock.

I suggest dressing the petcock tip on a lathe with the toolpost set at 45°, which gives a 90° angle. With the rod still in the chuck, wrench the seat upon it firmly a few times to burnish it, and then give it the suck test.

This usually gives it another generation of service.

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
        X