VIN check on 58 Pan FLH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIN check on 58 Pan FLH

I had a document that I have somehow lost. It was a VIN check for when I bought my 66 FL ElectraGlide. That document said that if the sequence number had 4 digits the first digit had to be even starting with 2,4,6,or 8 because the model year is even and if the sequence number had 5 digits the first 2 digits had to be even starting with 10,12,14,16,18 and 20 does this system apply to a 1958 FLH or can the sequence number for a 58 Pan with 4 sequence numbers start with a 1
    Thanks
    Pete::;;;;;;;;;;;;;

That format had not phased in back in 1958.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

My 52 is 52FL5xxx

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Engelman View Post
        can the sequence number for a 58 Pan with 4 sequence numbers start with a 1
        Thanks
        Pete::;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Yes it can, provided it is not 1000. SNs for 58 Pans began at 1001 but there may be confusion about whether SN 1001 was assigned to an FL or an FLH. Also what does the SN look like? Is it consistent with factory stamping? If you need help regarding the types of characters you could post a partial photo. And if it’s FLH you may find a certain type of sans serif H on top of the cases near the rear mounting bolts.

As for the even-odd code it was used for 1960–69 only. On another forum in 2007 Herb Wagner indicated the code was used for 60–69 and he repeated this in the winter 2009 issue of The Antique Motorcycle. Herb said the info was on Harley model layout sheets. And after doing my own research I agree with Herb regarding 60–69.

But although the code was only used for 60–69 there has long been confusion about it. Some say the code was used in the 40s while others say the 50s but I’ve never seen evidence of the code for either of those periods. Others think it was still going in 70–71 but I’ve never seen evidence of that either.

The most common error I’ve seen about the code is that it began in 62 which apparently meant early-62 models and the mistake can be traced as far back as the early-70s when it was included in a booklet used by the California Highway Patrol. But I know of a certain person who believed the code began about mid-62 and the April-May 2016 issue of Harleyquin (magazine for the H-DRC of Great Britain) said late-62. But of course all three opinions regarding 62 are wrong because the E-O code began with 1960 models. And it then remained in use through 1969 models.
        Eric

Comment

My 52 is 52FL7xxx

Comment

Working...
          X