Panhead Rocker Arm Asssemblies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panhead Rocker Arm Asssemblies

My question is has anyone else had problems with the V-Twin panhead rocker arm assemblies?

After less than 5 minutes of running time on a motor that I just rebuilt, I removed the heads (for another reason) and noticed that the intake rocker arms are engaging the tops of the valve stems quite far off-center, toward the far end of the valve stem. I noticed this because of significant wear marks on the tops of the new Kibblewhite valves. I used these assemblies for the first time on this motor so i have no prior experience with them.

It appears that the locations of the arm's wear pads are slightly too distant from the centerline of the rocker arm and that the pads may also be mis-ground. As a result the pad contact is almost at the far edge of the top of the valve stem. This is a shame, as the fit of the arm in the upper and lower bushings is very well done.

Please know that I'm an experienced Harley motor builder (over 40 years in and out of the business). I'm not bragging, but just stating that I'm not a weekend motor assembler and that great care was taken fitting and assembling this motor.

I'm guessing that I might be able to have the arm pads re-ground (I no longer have that tooling) , as the original H-D pads didn't appear to be that hard based on how we used to hand-dress them years ago during a normal rebuild. However, I don't know how deep the original hardness actually went and I certainly question this hardness and depth on these aftermarket units. I may be worsening the problem by cutting down, and into very soft material.

A final solution may be to install some of my used arms and fit them into the V-Twin upper and lower bushings. The bushings appear to be well machined and the used arms seem to fit ok - but with more slightly clearance than new of course. But this isn't too bad, as most wear mostly occurs in the upper brass bushings which will now be new, and I can live with an additional 0.001" wear on the arms circumference.

As always, your thoughts and feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bill Pedalino
    Last edited by billpedalino; 06-11-2023, 08:03 AM.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Bill,
    I have used their rocker arms one time and didn't have any issues with them.
    Do you happen to have the valve stem protrusion measurements from both intake and exhaust valves on these particular cylinder heads?
    Are you seeing this issue on all 4 valves?

Comment

see below, as some stock ones are off.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DgT...l=TatroMachine
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1qA...l=TatroMachine
      https://www.hydra-glide.net/phpBB3/v...ic.php?t=11307

Comment

Bill,
        The reason I asked about valve stem protrusion height is due to many issues that can arise from variations of valve manufactures dimensions, worn and re-cut valve seats, replaced and re-cut valves seats, rocker arm ratio verse actual cam lift of the particular camshaft being used, etc...
        90 degrees @ valve mid- lift is what you are looking to achieve. With this correct, you'll scrub the valve tip forth and back of centerline with the rocker arm. Hope this helps solve your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by dukekleman View Post
          Bill,
          The reason I asked about valve stem protrusion height is due to many issues that can arise from variations of valve manufactures dimensions, worn and re-cut valve seats, replaced and re-cut valves seats, rocker arm ratio verse actual cam lift of the particular camshaft being used, etc...
          90 degrees @ valve mid- lift is what you are looking to achieve. With this correct, you'll scrub the valve tip forth and back of centerline with the rocker arm. Hope this helps solve your problem.
          Thanks for your response.

I understand your question and yes, the top of the valve stem is at at the correct (now stock) height from the valve guide shoulder (as per the service manual). These heads have new, metal sprayed valve seats by Head Hog (now deceased) and the first thing I checked was the stem height. But even with deep seats, while the rocker ratio- to valve action did change a bit, it really wasn't too drastic. However, in VERY deep seats, the rocker arms did hit the pan covers, so you question certainly is legitimate on all points.

Also, I'm running an Andrews 'J' cam which I've rum on almost all of my stock motors since the 70's, and the changes in lift from stock are almost insignificant.

The 90 degree is a good point and quite logical. I will check! But given my above meandering, the key problem appears to be WHERE on the valve stem the rocker arm is hitting, which is very near the edge of the tip.
          Bill Pedalino
          Huntington, New York
          AMCA 6755

Comment

The guys at Tatro really do a great job and are so innovative in their in-house tooling and jigs. While I could barely hear the guy's voice, the captions did help a bit (hey, I'm, old!).

I've seen many of their videos and am always impressed with their simple but efficient approach to machining and fitting motor components. Thank you for sharing this one!

In particular, I liked how they compare the subject arm's tip profile to that of stock H-D arms. - Hey, maybe they'll regrind my replacement rocker arms?
            Bill Pedalino
            Huntington, New York
            AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
            X