Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

’48 Muffler hangers and clamps – painted black or parkerized?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ’48 Muffler hangers and clamps – painted black or parkerized?

Hi – Palmers extracts included. It is not clear to me whether the hangar at the rear end of the muffler and the clamp at the front end are black or parkerized?

Thanks Greg

Painted.jpgimage_37438.jpgmuffler.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by harleygreg; 04-16-2023, 02:29 PM.

Looking at factory photos of a '48 UL where I can see all the clamps I see the front pipe to frame clamp appears to be Parkerized and the muffler to frame clamps appear to be Black Paint. This site says my picture is too big to upload.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Hi Chris - that's my feeling too, but the judge claimed they should both be parkerized. It would be good to see the evidence? Can you reduce the size, or if not, I'm happy to PM my email address or dropbox details?

Thanks

Comment

I agree with Chris.Original paint '47FL that I have pics of agrees.painted muffler clamps,park front downpipe to frame clamps

Comment

Hi Duffey, is that, rear muffler hangar black, and front muffler Parkerized as Chris says?

Comment

As Chris said the muffler clamps painted,the front downtube clamps parkerized.That is what Palmer's book says if you read it again.Palmer only mentions parkerized muffler clamps on servicars & those are hidden under the box....your red arrows to painted clamps!

Comment

Thanks Duffey

Comment

On the 48 OHV are the exhaust clamps and bolts parkerized?? what CP bolts 1038?

Comment

Hi Paddy, as the thread explains 'the muffler clamps painted,the front downtube clamps parkerized.That is what Palmer's book says if you read it again.Palmer only mentions parkerized muffler clamps on servicars & those are hidden under the box....your red arrows to painted clamps!'

I can't remember on the bolts, sorry

Comment

Greg I am talking about the exhaust port clamps. Sorry

Comment

bvillejune1.jpg I had to get a picture of my '48 in here since I am currently working on it, and I just love it so much. You can see I left the muffler clamps parkerized because I like the contrast to the black painted muffler (but the clamps should be black painted). .As an observant eye can see, it has a later gear cover, and that means the wrong motor. That motor belongs in my '51FL and my mission is to get it out, and in my '51FL, and go through the '48 motor as I have no idea where I left off on the rebuild. Motors weigh a ton, and I'm not as strong as I used to be so I have to plan this heart transplant operation out.

I believe Chris Haynes posted this '48 BT factory Pohlman photo years ago. I've used it as a benchmark for my '48

1948%20Panhead%20Deluxe%20Solo%20Group.jpg
                      Last edited by exeric; 04-10-2024, 05:03 PM.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

I just noticed the subtitle says Hydra-Glide.com. They probably snagged it from Chris.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

exeric,Eric, he is asking about the bolts on the clamps at the heads

Comment

Harleygreg's starting post was in regards to the muffler clamp, and hanger. I was trying to stay on topic (which can be difficult for me to do).
                            Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

Sorry .... I was just trying to put the exhaust clamp finishes in the same thread so all the Exhaust clamps would be in one place. I did find out that the exhaust port clamps on 48OHV are flat band stainless steel. there is a small spacer on the bolt .... Have not gotten a answer on the finish( Parkerized, Painted, Cadium) and type (1038)? of the bolt for these clamps..Thank You Standing By

Comment

Working...
                              X