Spark Plug Wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark Plug Wires

I've been looking for correct spark plug wires for my '53 FLE. It has the square coil and requires wire-core conductors and molded-on spark plug boots. These are NOT noise suppression wires. The closest that I've found so far are 7mm, wire-core wires by Sifton, but they have the company name visibly printed in white. I've tried removing the writing using Acetone, MEK, Lacquer thinner, and Xylene, without success. Can anyone recommend a source for these wires?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by billpedalino; 03-18-2023, 08:09 AM.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Jeff Goorman at bulldogbrothersgarage@gmail.com makes 7mm, copper-core wires, cloth-covered (no writing) with molded boots for I think $25 a set. I tried to post a picture here of various terminal ends, but failed.
    Last edited by jstraker; 03-19-2023, 12:36 PM.

Comment

The Sifton paper thin SS ends suck.

Comment

image_36965.jpgwhat ever you get, frankly I don't do 100% restores work
        I will suggest that both ends get soldered to the terminal ends as shown.

thumb_IMG_0325_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_5949_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_8101_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_8105_1024.jpg
        Last edited by blacknight55; 03-23-2023, 10:20 AM.

Comment

for the spark plug end, sometimes those don't have a small hole for the core wire to go thru. Drill that with a #45-55 , then solder it.

that makes the reliability 100% .

thumb_IMG_8104_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_8102_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_8101_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_8102_1024.jpg
          Last edited by blacknight55; 03-23-2023, 10:21 AM.

Comment

The wires at the coil end on a 1953 Panhead Harley does not have ends attached,the wires slide over pins at deep inside the coil.

Comment

My 36 Big Flatty is the same way Duffey, I believe that most (if not all) were done that way for many years

Comment

Originally posted by jstraker View Post
                Jeff Goorman at bulldogbrothersgarage@gmail.com makes 7mm, copper-core wires, cloth-covered (no writing) with molded boots for I think $25 a set. I tried to post a picture here of various terminal ends, but failed.
                Thanks for the lead Straker,
                I reached out to them and am awaiting a response. However, because 1953 uses a rubber (neoprene?) outer casing with molded ends, the cloth-covered wires would be incorrect for me. But lets see what they say - I might get lucky!
                Bill Pedalino
                Huntington, New York
                AMCA 6755

Comment

I have those wires. You can just cut the cloth off. But jeff may have some wires without the cloth.

Comment

Originally posted by jstraker View Post
                    Well, I tried Jeff Goorman. Nice guy, but he only makes the earlier, cloth wires (and also some very nice square coils). But I need the rubber-covered wires with the molded-on spark plug boots and with plain ends for the square coil. So I struck out there.

When I was young, you could easily find these wires in any auto parts store - now you cant even find real auto parts stores in my area - just blister-pack stores!

Suggestions anyone?

Bill Pedalino
                    Huntington, New York
                    AMCA 6755

Comment

Originally posted by billpedalino View Post

Well, I tried Jeff Goorman. Nice guy, but he only makes the earlier, cloth wires (and also some very nice square coils). But I need the rubber-covered wires with the molded-on spark plug boots and with plain ends for the square coil. So I struck out there.

When I was young, you could easily find these wires in any auto parts store - now you cant even find real auto parts stores in my area - just blister-pack stores!

Suggestions anyone?
                      Try vintage auto guys. the wires are the same, basically any 7mm solid core fits, just find the type with the molded in ends, or start scrounging old car junkyards.
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post

Try vintage auto guys. the wires are the same, basically any 7mm solid core fits, just find the type with the molded in ends, or start scrounging old car junkyards.
                        Most of what I've seen from the vintage car guys is the colored, cloth-covered wires. I have see black molded wires, but it seems that most have the writing in the casings. I'd bet they're out there, but I'm lacking in 'web patience'.

I did find what looks like a black, 7mm, copper core, pair from Steiner Tractor Parts. As best as I can tell from the website photo, there isn't any writing on the casings and they have 90 degree molded spark plug ends. I ordered them and we'll see if they're as-advertised.
                        Bill Pedalino
                        Huntington, New York
                        AMCA 6755

Comment

I've removed the writing with acetone or MEK, I wouldn't be concerned about that.
                          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
                            I've removed the writing with acetone or MEK, I wouldn't be concerned about that.
                            Bob,
                            Unfortunately I tired both on these Sifton wires with no luck - as well as lacquer thinner.
                            Bill Pedalino
                            Huntington, New York
                            AMCA 6755

Comment

I received the wires from Steiner Tractor Parts and, while they look fine, they also have writing on them! This wasn't visible on their web photo. Furthermore, the writing doesn't come off with any of the solvents that I tired. So, I wet-sanded them with 800 paper, then rubbed them with a polishing compound and it worked fine. Such aggravation over such a minor item....
                              Bill Pedalino
                              Huntington, New York
                              AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
                              X