48 Panhead - generator positioning question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 Panhead - generator positioning question

Hi - a note was made on the judging form about the generator position. The judge thought it was rotated and positioned incorrectly, in that the terminals and name plate were pointing to the front, rather than upwards - see image enclosed.

I checked with a panhead image I had and he appeared to be correct, so I thought I'd assembled it incorrectly. However, on removing it, and rebuilding, there is no other way of assembling it and mounting it.

So, are the positions of the name plate and terminal correct or have I missed something, btw this is a 32E generator.

Thanks

generator position.jpg

I have never seen one positioned like your Gen.
    Maybe it is assembled from mismatched parts
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
      I have never seen one positioned like your Gen.
      Maybe it is assembled from mismatched parts
      Me neither, Duffey!

Although doing them on the bench, I might not have noticed.

But I suspect the through-screws to the end housing stripped, and they were drilled and tapped elsewhere.

(I've got a collection of generators if anybody needs one; most of them worked.)

....Cotten
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-06-2023, 12:21 PM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

thanks guys, further investigation required!

Comment

So, FYI, here are two images, one of my generator and one off the web. It appears that my housing has the holes in the wrong place, and judging by the image off the web, they should be where the red marks are, I can cure this by drilling and tapping two new holes, though it is strange that the housing has not been redrilled, as I've removed the paint and there are no signs of previous holes. Spooky?

On a related subject, I believe this is a 'radio generator' because of the 'clutch' on the drive gear. If the 'clutch' gear is tight on the shaft, is there a good way of removing it, other than using a hammer on the end of the shaft?

Thanks

IMG_7457.jpgSlide1.JPG
          Last edited by harleygreg; 03-25-2023, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

Me neither, Duffey!

Although doing them on the bench, I might not have noticed.

But I suspect the through-screws to the end housing stripped, and they were drilled and tapped elsewhere.

(I've got a collection of generators if anybody needs one; most of them worked.)

....Cotten
            Hi Tom - I'm trying to get my generator body re drilled and tapped in the correct places but this may be a problem due to the 'lugs' inside the generator being in a specific position for the holes. Do you have a 32E body with field coils and wires you would be willing to sell?

Comment

I've got a couple of dead soldiers, Greg,..

But unless you can walk in my door, please don't give up on fixing what you got.

Without tearing one apart, I can't see any 'lugs', but I can see that there really aren't that many threads needed.

Generators are not my specialty: Why was the 'radio model' indexed differently?

....Cotten
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Do Not Hammer!! There is a retaining pin under the spring, and then use a proper puller. This is mechanics, not house framing.
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks - I've started a new thread on the specific question

Comment

Factory photo
                    Attached Files
                    Be sure to visit;
                    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

To go with Chris's pic,Palmers book p515 & 524 show '39U police with that position. 32ER genny...withreguator,not cutout

Comment

Thanks to Chris and Duffey and Grease Monkey for their input.

Looking at the image from Palmers, the condenser sits on top of the generator. From the image supplied from Grease Monkey of the radio generator, if the condenser sits on top, the terminals must face forward.

Other than the mounting holes, the generator body (frame) and alloy frame end of the 32E and 32ER seem geometrically similar. This leads me to believe that the end cover screw hole positions (in the end frame) were not changed, so the ‘screw line’ on the radio generator models angles forward and on the standard 32E angles back. You can see this by comparing the images from Palmers and from the web - of course, I may be wrong!

Thanks for your help.

Palmers.JPGGrease Monkey.JPG32E from web.JPG

Comment

Working...
                        X