Hydra Glide Plastic Cable Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydra Glide Plastic Cable Cover

I've installed the plastic cable cover that resides between the handle bar and the top fork bracket. The parts book shows this piece installed with its molded-in flange facing up and resting against the handlebar. However, It seems more logical to install it with the flange facing down against the upper fork bracket. This way the chrome, upper bracket cover passes over the body and holds the flange against the upper bracket. Although rare, It wouldn't be the first time the parts book was incorrect, so I thought I'd check with people with better memories than I before moving on.
    Please advise.
    Thanks,
    Bill Pedalino
    Last edited by billpedalino; 02-25-2023, 08:27 AM.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Note the hole in the fork bracket top cover is cutout specifically in the shape of the cover to allow it to pass through, the top of the sleeve is also radiused to fit the bars. There is no question how it is mounted. And if you think parts books are an assembly reference you are joy riding your mind.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Actually, my mind is quite sharp.
      Yes, I saw the radiused edges which is what made me question the parts book, And yes, in the 50(+) years that I've been doing this, both as a vocation many years ago, and now as an advocation, I agree the parts books are only a place to start. I have no egotistical reservations in asking people like you for assistance.
      Thanks for the confirmation Robbie....
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

Attached a pic of the wiring cover on a 59. Yes, the lip goes down so the cover goes thru the top tree cover first. You can also get cute and make a leather cover to go around the plastic cover (has a snap on the back for easy removal).
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by jgbrown59 View Post
          Attached a pic of the wiring cover on a 59. Yes, the lip goes down so the cover goes thru the top tree cover first. You can also get cute and make a leather cover to go around the plastic cover (has a snap on the back for easy removal).
          Thanks JG - that's how I assembled mine originally, but the parts book had me second-guessing myself. In fact, the later parts books continued with the same, incorrect sketch until the part wasn't listed anymore. Most likely, it was expensive to edit an existing rendering back in the pre-computer days of the '50s and 60's.

Also, a little off-topic, but I noticed the 'Hydra Glide' script on your fork shroud. I've been trying for a long time to find one with the script and four (4) straight lines for my '53. Tough to find in anywhere near decent shape and my sheet metal skills were never very good. I've got a non-scripted, aftermarket one until the heavens open up and I find an original.
          Bill Pedalino
          Huntington, New York
          AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
          X