Panhead Dash Light Sockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panhead Dash Light Sockets

I'm approaching the finish line with my 1953 and as with all restorations, the most time-consuming phase is in getting al the small details right. I really thought I hade everything covered when I did the pre-paint mach-up, but I made one considerable oversight; I just noticed that the OIL and GEN indicator light sockets (P/N 71156-47) that were previously installed in my dash base are incorrect.

I just ordered and received an aftermarket pair from V-Twin, but I don't see how they'll correctly press-fit into the base. Therefore, I have several questions that I'm hoping somebody might help in answering;

1. As a perfect-world question - Does anyone have a working OEM pair available that I might purchase?
    2. If not, anyone know if quality aftermarket dash sockets are being manufactured?
    3. Has anybody installed the V-Twin sockets successfully and if so, can you offer any pointers - I'd like to prevent the occurrence of a couple of squashed new sockets that's probably inevitable.
    4. Am I correct in assuming that these sockets must be isolated from ground? The V-Twin sockets don't come with an isolation (gasket) and I'm guessing it's needed..

Thanks to all for any assistance that you might offer,
    Bill Pedalino
    Last edited by billpedalino; 02-05-2023, 09:57 AM.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Obviously not a great response!
    Given the above, I would also be interested in purchasing an original 2-light dash base P/N 70938-49 if the indicator light sockets are intact.
    Thanks for looking....
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Comment

I made my own tooling to crimp the sockets in place. I personally am not aware of much out there but would like to know more as well.
      I've attached photo's.
      Attached Files

Comment

https://www.riwire.com/

https://www.ronfrancis.com/category/switches

Old Dude Vintage Parts & Services.

Motorcycle parts store in Lilburn, Georgia

Address: 4251 Wayside Ct SW # A, Lilburn, GA 30047
        Hours:
        Closed ⋅ Opens 9 AM

Phone: (770) 921-3825

*M.A.D.*
        Last edited by JoJo357; 02-06-2023, 07:27 AM.

Comment

I got these two a few years back. They appear to be NOS and the cloth covered wire is interesting as the hot center lead is all of 36' long and wrong color, so I guess not for a Panhead. The swage type sockets are right although I don't know exactly how to replace them in practice. A special tool I suppose? I would like to replace the sockets in one of my bikes but until I am certain how to do it right on the first try I am hesitant.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Hack,
            Yes, the bodies certainly look correct, but I'm a bit weary of the swaging process as well. Looks like I have no choice. However, I'm also concerned about electrically isolating the sockets from the dash base. .I would assume that there are two (2) insulating washers for each socket; one above the base and one below. Is this how yours are installed?
            If this really starts to drag-on, I might try the plastic sockets. I don't have a pair yet, but it looks like they push-in and the electrical isolation concern goes away.
            Bill Pedalino
            Huntington, New York
            AMCA 6755

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo357 View Post
              https://www.riwire.com/

https://www.ronfrancis.com/category/switches

Old Dude Vintage Parts & Services.

Motorcycle parts store in Lilburn, Georgia

Address: 4251 Wayside Ct SW # A, Lilburn, GA 30047
              Hours:
              Closed ⋅ Opens 9 AM

Phone: (770) 921-3825

*M.A.D.*
              Thanks for the potential sources JoJo. I had already reached out to Bart yesterday and am awaiting a reply.
              Bill Pedalino
              Huntington, New York
              AMCA 6755

Comment

Originally posted by dukekleman View Post
                I made my own tooling to crimp the sockets in place. I personally am not aware of much out there but would like to know more as well.
                I've attached photo's.
                Now THAT'S a nice job! Did you use OEM sockets? Given the cloth wires and the height of the top flanges, they don't appear to be V-Twin replacements. Also, did you use two insulator washers on each socket? If not, how did you electrically isolate the sockets form the dash base?
                I have a press and a lathe - Looks like I'll be making a mandrel for swaging them on. Any Pointers?
                Bill Pedalino
                Huntington, New York
                AMCA 6755

Comment

The insulators were integrated into the sockets. They are a red fiber washer...The tooling I made is nothing fancy but after some trial , error and redesigning the tooling works great! Crimps then flawlessly. I use the tooling in one of my arbor presses.

Comment

Paul Greenwood totally will rebuild dash bases.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...72038936330532
                    Last edited by Jerry Wieland; 02-06-2023, 05:53 PM.

Comment

I have a few of the sockets with the yellow wires pictured earlier in this thread. These are correct and work great. I purchased them from Bart @ Old Dude about a year ago. Back then he had a "box full" of them. Its easy to replace the wire with the correct color.

Rhode Island Wire (https://www.riwire.com/) has a great assortment of cloth wire and socket insulating washers, springs, and other wiring related goodies, but they DO NOT have these sockets.

You also need washer 71182-47 or 71182-47A. The washer goes between the socket and the top of the dash. The remaining socket material is then peened over on top of the washer. As Dukekleman said, the isolation / insulator (red in color) is integrated into the socket.

I have replaced eight of these over the past couple of years. I just rigged up support under the socket and carefully peened the protruding socket material over the washer.

I called Bart last week and he is currently open only Tuesdays and Wednesday so call him tomorrow (Tuesday) to see if he still has the sockets - part number: 71156-47

Comment

Bill, As Jerry said Paul Greenwood is the way to go . Quick turnaround and he has everything right there. He has done 4 dashes for me.and they are perfect..And definitely the less stressful way to go. And he also restores the bullet lights.

Comment

Thank you all for the information - now I have options.....
                          Bill Pedalino
                          Huntington, New York
                          AMCA 6755

Comment

Originally posted by jgbrown59 View Post
                            I have a few of the sockets with the yellow wires pictured earlier in this thread. These are correct and work great. I purchased them from Bart @ Old Dude about a year ago. Back then he had a "box full" of them. Its easy to replace the wire with the correct color.

Rhode Island Wire (https://www.riwire.com/) has a great assortment of cloth wire and socket insulating washers, springs, and other wiring related goodies, but they DO NOT have these sockets.

You also need washer 71182-47 or 71182-47A. The washer goes between the socket and the top of the dash. The remaining socket material is then peened over on top of the washer. As Dukekleman said, the isolation / insulator (red in color) is integrated into the socket.

I have replaced eight of these over the past couple of years. I just rigged up support under the socket and carefully peened the protruding socket material over the washer.

I called Bart last week and he is currently open only Tuesdays and Wednesday so call him tomorrow (Tuesday) to see if he still has the sockets - part number: 71156-47
                            JG,
                            I've located some OEM sockets, but not the 77182-47 gaskets. Because I'm traveling this week, I won't be able to call Bart until next week (although I did email him this morning). In the meantime, in the event that he doesn't carry the gaskets, would you know if another source? If not, I'll take the time to make them.
                            Thanks!
                            Bill Pedalino
                            Huntington, New York
                            AMCA 6755

Comment

Bill,

When I posted the original message I did check and Tom's NOS had them. I still see that he has them, not sure he really does though.
                              https://tomsnosparts.com/products/71182-47a

I posted a pic of the measurements of the two versions I have. The larger OD one came off the neutral indicator light socket on 59-61 dash (its mounted from underneath the dash on the neutral socket). It will work for the Gen | Oil sockets when mounted on top of the dash since its the same ID and thickness. I believe (I don't see another valid reason) the function of the washer is a spacer so there is less material to peen / roll over to hold the socket in place.

The smaller OD version was acquired about 5 years ago from an "I don't remember source", might have been Bart.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X