1949 panhead hydraglide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1949 panhead hydraglide

The front end is rougher to ride than my Springer front ends.

Stationary while holding the brakes, teleacopic forks move up and down as it should.

when you ride it, the wheel and hub and fork moves forward in back in a vibration shake motion which then makes the handlebars move forward and back.

Bearings and front end have been fully inspected with some parts being replaced and it still rides rougher than a Springer front end.

What are we missing here? I only have a 1965 pan with telescopic forks which you could run over a curb and keep on riding.

Any help is appreciated.

Sounds simple but is the wheel true? I’ve experienced pretty bad shaking and handlebar slap from an out of true wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by otis71 View Post
      Sounds simple but is the wheel true? I’ve experienced pretty bad shaking and handlebar slap from an out of true wheel.
      I will need to check. Nothing side to side but maybe out of round? I will check.

Comment

I imagine a small amount of runout compounded by worn and loose parts could be detrimental.

Comment

crappy tires

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
            crappy tires
            Which reminds me, Folks,....

We had fits when we took wheels to the local 'spin-balancer', as they shook, and never balanced up the same way twice.

The balancing machine 'cones' that held the wheel rarely centered the star-hub thrust bearing sleeve to the rest of the hub.

Unless you choose an in-the-tube goober balancer, star hub assemblies are best statically balanced installed, with weights you can move next time.

....Cotten
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

10 is just right !..even '73-'99 wheels don't balance right with the spacers in place
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
                10 is just right !..even '73-'99 wheels don't balance right with the spacers in place
                And there you have, Folks,...

The arguement for balancing goobers.

(The vanity arguement, if not the more practical arguements...)

It seemed like "PJ1 Balance Plus" disappeared, but then I stopped doing wheels way over a decade ago.

....Cotten
                PS: I still have a pic of the very '49 that led me to these conclusions; Shop dog Sammy, long gone due to a bad pitbull owner. DIEMER49.jpg
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-03-2022, 04:00 PM.
                AMCA #776

Comment

I agree with Cotten.
                  When I teach the Motorcycle Tire and wheel course, I'll demonstrate how improper Axial and Radial wheel(lacing) runout heavily affects the wheel weights applied. Keep in mind, you can balance a wheel and when ridden it will handle TERRIBLE. Most customers return complaining about balance issues, when in fact its a runout issue. The same thing applies with the actual tire as well. The wheel can have proper runout but the tire mounted to that wheel can have runout issues itself. When star hubs are correctly set up, wheels are accurately trued, wheel assemblies are correctly balanced (longer conversation) and a quality tire is used these bikes handle exceptionally well.
                  Make sure not to overlook left and right fork spring lengths, oil levels and steering head bearings condition/preload.

Comment

Making the rear wheel follow the front helps, too, Folks!

A simple 'trammel' with adjustable pointers set to the axle centers tells you if they are equal from side to side,...

TRAMMEL.jpg

TRAMMEL2.jpg
                    ..Which assures the wheels are square to each other.

...Cotten
                    AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                    X