1949 EL front fork internals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1949 EL front fork internals

Maybe Rubone or one of the other mechanical experts on here can help my friend out. Are the first year hydraulic front forks internals (springs, rods, dampners, etc.) different than the later early Panhead units and if so when did they change. Does anyone have parts diagrams or other graphics showing the originals? Any help will be appreciated.
    DrSprocket

Part numbers are the same through the years.

Comment

Originally posted by otis71 View Post
      Part numbers are the same through the years.
      But the parts aren't all the same.

Comment

Except for the vent assembly, I think so.
        Mark
        Mark Masa
        www.linkcycles.com

Comment

There are a few differences on the early forks, including spring rates, lack of venting, and hole size in the damper tubes. All were addressed over the first year or so. Most is covered in the Service Bulletin number 291 dated October 20, 1949. There is some information out there on the damper tubes but I would have to search for it. The combination of no vents and damper rates caused forks to pressurize, become very stiff, and blow seals.

Last edited by Rubone; 10-25-2022, 08:41 AM.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thank you Rebone. That is exactly what we needed to know. He has a restored '49 El from an original bike. Non-vented caps and probably the early internals (springs and dampner tubes). Since he's tearing the forks down to replace the seals (one blown) he will update with '50 or above internals (tubes and springs) and caps. Thanks again, Rich O.
            DrSprocket

Comment

Working...
            X