Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953 Shifter Parts

Good Day All!

I'm finishing up my 1953 FLE restoration and upon final bolt-together I realized that I have the wrong shifter parts.

It appears that, according to the parts book, these models came from the factory with heal-toe shifters. I thought this was an option, but see no proof of that. If anybody knows if the toe-only shift was available in 1953, I'd really like to know (I really dislike heel-toe).

I currently have the correct splined foot lever (34606-52). Therefore, If the heel-toe setup is mandatory for 1953, I'm looking for shift lever 33660-52 and heel shift lever 34692-52.

I'm installing aftermarket in the meantime - until the real stuff shows up.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
    Bill Pedalino
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

The heel section was an option, not standard equipment. You must have the correct splined lever and arm with the spline on the backside to be right.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Robbie - you always know 'stuff'... Yes, I do have a splined arm. It's original but chromed so, it must be stripped and cad-plated..
      It's strange that an accessory was shown in the parts book and not in the accessories catalogue, if they even offered one in 1953.
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

Originally posted by billpedalino View Post
        Thanks Robbie - you always know 'stuff'... Yes, I do have a splined arm. It's original but chromed so, it must be stripped and cad-plated..
        It's strange that an accessory was shown in the parts book and not in the accessories catalogue, if they even offered one in 1953.
        Lots of "accessories" are in the parts books, turn signals, spotlights, windshields, leg shields, etc. Why some and not others, who knows?
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Here is the '53 Order blank.
          Attached Files
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Hmmmn. It won't let me post the back side. Here is the link. http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.co...+rear.jpg.html
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thank you Chris. After reading the Order Sheet I'm wondering if Saddlebags are considered an accessory for 1953. They're not listed on the sheet and after reading through Palmer, it's still a bit unclear.
              Bill Pedalino
              Huntington, New York
              AMCA 6755

Comment

Thank you Chris. After reading the Order Sheet I'm wondering if Saddlebags are considered an accessory for 1953. They're not listed on the sheet and after reading through Palmer, it's still a bit unclear.
                Not unclear at all. If not part of an "group", everything else is an "optional" accessory. They could be ordered at the time of purchase and would be mounted by H-D as could anything on the accessory list. But not being in any group they are not required for correctness of a bike restored to a certain group status but are also not a points drop as they could be ordered as new or as an after the sale accessory. Keep in mind accessories are not judged, but if an accessory is on a bike that is later than the year of the bike it becomes a fault. If it is earlier and added on it is ignored since it was available over the counter to owners.
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

NOW it clear - thank you Robbie.
                  So if I mounted the green 1952 saddlebags on my Forrest Green 1953, there would not be a points reduction?
                  Bill Pedalino
                  Huntington, New York
                  AMCA 6755

Comment

...So if I mounted the green 1952 saddlebags on my Forrest Green 1953, there would not be a points reduction?
                    Golly Bill,...

If such fantastic hardware is somehow lessened by playing others' game,...

I fear you have lost the highway for the headlights.

Please enjoy their glory, and ignore the snivelers, lest you become one.

...Cotten
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-19-2022, 12:54 PM.
                    AMCA #776
                    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

LOL !! Well stated.
                      No fear Tom - points deduction or not - I like 'em and they're goin on!
                      Bill Pedalino
                      Huntington, New York
                      AMCA 6755

Comment

Current Progress - 1953 FLE with '52-colored saddlebags

Attached Files
                        Bill Pedalino
                        Huntington, New York
                        AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
                        X