How to R&R Steering Neck Lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to R&R Steering Neck Lock

All, how would I go about removing and replacing the inoperable steering lock on my ‘65 FLH?

Jim

The hard part, Jim,...

Is locating the pin that retains the core:

LOCKPIN.jpg

Earlier models used a solid pin, probably a screw with the head chiseled off, but I fear the '65s used a hardened roll pin, and a left hand drill is necessary. (It goes without saying that you do not want to drill into the core.)

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks very much for the quick reply and info Tom, much appreciated.

Update:
      Got it removed successfully. The steering lock plunger was seized necessitating the destruction of the lock cylinder. Luckily a seller on EBay has NOS Briggs & Stratton lock cylinders for sale.

Jim
      Last edited by jim wagnon; 08-17-2022, 04:29 PM.

Comment

I'll bump this to ask what B&S number for the lock cylinder ?
        Is it possible to have a key made for my existing one? The key was lost years ago by previous owner/s.
        This is for my '65
        Ray
        AMCA #7140

Comment

Zach's been around forever, Rbenash!

https://locksmithmankato.com/

The trick is to get it out to mail it.

.....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Hi Ray, I had a mobile locksmith come and he was able to make a key. However, the sliding bolt that locks the steering stem in place was seized up. Ultimately, there’s no way to get the tiny roll pin back out of the steering neck resulting in the lock having to be drilled out and removed piece by piece. Then the roll pin can be tapped through. The lock is available NOS on eBay.

There is also a complete kit available, but in my case not needed as my original parts were cleaned, lubed and re-used.

Search EBay for:
            PANHEAD-SHOVELHEAD "NEW OLD STOCK" FRAME NECK HEAD LOCK WITH 2 KEYS #48150-30

hope this helps.
            Jim
            Last edited by jim wagnon; 09-30-2022, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Beware anything advertised as NOS on Ebay. Some Ebay sellers seem not to know the difference between real NOS and shiny repops. I got what I believe are legit NOS locks from Bill's Custom Cycles in PA.
              Ride it like you can fix it!

Comment

Good advice! The EBay auction information provided is Bills Custom Cycles. I bought one also and am well pleased with it.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                X