Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panhead distributor problem

Good morning
    My friend bought a 1964 Panhead. He did a bunch of maintenance and painted it. When he tried to start the engine yesterday it fired a couple of times then the distributor lifted up and broke the mounting bracket. He said the inner bolt hole wasn't in the greatest shape but the outside bolt hole threads were in good shape. Can anyone help us out to diagnose this problem.
    Thanks
    Pete::::::::::;;;;;;;;;;;

It sounds like the timer shaft seized for some reason. I've never heard of that happening. It may have caused damage inside the camchest as well. Is it an OEM timer?
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Forty years ago a friend of mine (who should not have) did some camchest work on his 55 Panhead and failed to reinstall the spacer on the outside of the timer drive gear and it slide out and destroyed the bottom of the timer shaft and lifted the timer out of the hole about a 1/8". Jerry

Comment

Thanks I will post what he finds tomorrow when he gets it apart
        Pete:::::::::;;;;;;;;

Comment

He got it apart and found the distributor shaft is bent. It took him an hour to get it out. See attached picture. The spacers were all in place. He said the inner bolt hold down hole is stripped but the outer hole is good. There shouldn't be any real lift force on the distributor. Could have caused this damage?
          Thanks
          Pete::::::::;;;;;;;;;;;;
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Engelman View Post
            He got it apart and found the distributor shaft is bent. It took him an hour to get it out. See attached picture. The spacers were all in place. He said the inner bolt hold down hole is stripped but the outer hole is good. There shouldn't be any real lift force on the distributor. Could have caused this damage?
            Thanks
            Pete::::::::;;;;;;;;;;;;
            Well first off that is an aftermarket POS self advancing timer from Tedd. If nothing obvious wrong with the rest of the motor I would find an OEM timer and put it back together, Jerry

Comment

I agree with Jerry.Those junk.They never run right.If you can't find a real one try Vulcan Motor Works or a Mallory.Neither look stock & both are electronic ign.

Comment

Does your friend still have the handlebar control, Pete?

....Cotten
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

He doesn't have the manual advance any longer. I mentioned he should look at running the manual advance but he would need to find the control and handle bar. He believes the original distributor had dual points and I don't know if they had flyweights or manual advance.
                  Thanks
                  Pete:::::::;;;;;;;;;
                  Last edited by Pete Engelman; 06-04-2022, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Dual point was earlier than '65.'65 had auto advance

Comment

Problem found
                      The bushings in the cam cover for the timer gear and idler for generator drive are oblonged so all the gears in the cam case were shifting under loadt
                      thanks for all the help
                      Pete::;;

Comment

Working...
                      X