My Saturday ride to the Hog Farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Saturday ride to the Hog Farm

This is a first. Almost made it to the Hog Shop with a friend yesterday, except for a minor malfunction w/ my 50 Pan.
    Attached Files

"Almost made it to the Hog Shop with a friend yesterday, except for a minor malfunction"

OK so what happened?
    Nice looking bikes. Always liked Panheads

Comment

I can't say for sure what happened but it was a very warm morning and the vent tube may have been pinched off down through the battery box is only thing I can think of. The battery caps are non vented. Just turned over 100 mi. on the all newly built bike, the generator is rebuilt with a solid state relay. My friend was behind me and pulled me over because he thought I was leaking oil or something. He did hear pop or a bang and then got sprayed. I didn't fully realize what happened until I got the bike home.

Comment

Oh Wow; Thanks glad you made it home safe. Good to have friends to ride with.

Comment

Everyone on my street knows I've been building up the bike for the last 2 years during the lockdown, it's the only thing that has kept me sane. Embarrassing to see it come home Sat. on the back of a AAA truck!! LOL

Comment

I sure get the projects getting knocked out over the last several years. I’ve managed to get things done that would have probably never happened. Great looking Panhead!

Jim

Comment

Better time spent with a wrench and some grease on my hands or my butt in the motorcycle seat than on a psychiatrists' couch!

Comment

It actually happened kind of at the right time no matter how frustrating the lock down. I'd been sitting on a perfect 48 frame for many years, then found the 1950 engine with a Calif. pink slip in Dec. of 2019 and I was off to the races.
                Attached Files

Comment

Nice! Did the transmission in the picture also come with the engine?

Comment

Hack, So what did happen, was it battery related? Hopefully your friend was not sprayed with battery acid.

Comment

The trans in the picture is a spare I had sitting around waiting for the frame to build up some day. As far as the battery exploding goes, I can only guess what caused it and best guess is the vent tube was pinched off. It was a really warm day and the oil tank got hot and the battery failed. Rocco got misted a little as he was behind me but I don't know how far. I've been going around the bike with a spray bottle of baking soda and distilled water to neutralize the acid and clean up the rear end of the machine.

Comment

Working...
                      X