48 Panhead – oil return problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 Panhead – oil return problem

Hi Guys – I had to strip the oil pump to reseat the check valve ball – after rebuilding, I checked the pump was pushing oil up the return pipe by kicking the bike over. On completion, and starting up, the oil light is not going out and there appears to be no oil going back to the tank. On checking the return pipe again, by cranking the engine over, it appears there is air pumping but not much oil. Are there any checks I can do before I have to take the pump apart again? Thanks

always prime the pump before cranking

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
      always prime the pump before cranking
      I primed the whole motor!

PRIMEBTL.jpg

.....Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks Duffy and Cotten - update

I attached a clear plastic tube to the return pipe - see photo - and whilst oil came up the pipe when cranking, it was mostly air. This simply confirms what I felt when I put my fingers in the oil tank to see if oil was returning - I felt mostly just puffs of air.

I checked the oil feed pipe to the pump. This provides a continuous running stream of oil when cold, which seems OK.

I removed the check ball and oil did not seep out as I expected. As the check valve prevents seepage to the sump, I would have expected the oil to overflow - it didn't.

I removed the oil pressure sensor and again, no oil came out.

I replaced the sensor.

Having removed the check ball, I attempted to feed oil down the check ball valve whilst cranking, and the oil appeared to go somewhere.

I replaced the check ball, spring, cap and cranked the engine - no change - still oil but mostly air.

The fact I'm getting oil and air leads me to believe the pump is working?

Any ideas?

Thanks - Greg
        Attached Files

Comment

If just removing the checkball cap doesn't allow it to slowly overflow, Greg,...

There's a hairball in there somewhere. Paper towels can be evil.

But still, Please beware that the return flow is always an airy froth.

....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Keep in mind that the return side of the pump is 50% larger than the feed side. Most of what comes out is air, never a steady stream.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Guys - all sorted

Comment

Originally posted by harleygreg View Post
                Thanks Guys - all sorted
                Greg what ended up being the problem?
                i am having similar situation with my 48.
                PM sent also

Comment

Hi Paddy - see my PM to you, if you haven't got it, let me know

Comment

I think if you ask for help & get help.it would be fair to explain the answer.Even if it embarrassing..

Comment

Why would your solution to this problem be top secret? The main point of this forum is sharing so others may learn.

Comment

It's no secret, just forgot to put one of the keys back in the shaft

Comment

Greg, don't feel bad. I'm sure we have done things like that, me included. Here's one of mine: Rebuilt the carb on a friend's 47 Chief. Got it all back together and it wouldn't start. Had spark but no fuel. Pulled the carb back off. Discovered the paper towel I had put in the manifold to keep stuff out. Yep. the towel was doing it's job.
                          Dave

Comment

Working...
                          X