Oil Pump Relief Valve Piston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pump Relief Valve Piston

i have a 55-62 oem oil pump body in nice shape without rust but the relief valve piston is stuck. I’ve soaked in oil, metal rescue and vinegar trying to free it. I’ve also used heat. Any ideas? Hate to discard a good pump over this.

You might either figure a way to push it out with a greasegun, Otis,..

...Or find a way to stick a welding rod in it.

(Either way, you're gonna have to get creative!)

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Good news Tom, I soaked it again with penetrating oil and left it on the wood stove all day. Then I put it face down on a wood block and beat it with a plastic mallet for about 20 minutes watching it slowly move outward. Thanks for replying.

Comment

Sounds like a magnet might have moved it, Rex!

Come to think of it, I used a hemostat that would grab the piston by holding its small jaws open inside of it.

Its been too long to remember doing it, but I still have the hemostats.

....Cotten
        AMCA #776

Comment

It had light corrosion holding it. It took a little more persuasion than a magnet would have offered to free it.

Comment

Tom, on linkert manifold gaskets and insulating block, do you recommend any sealer like non setting hylomar or strictly dry? Both surfaces have been planed flat.

Comment

Originally posted by otis71 View Post
              Tom, on linkert manifold gaskets and insulating block, do you recommend any sealer like non setting hylomar or strictly dry? Both surfaces have been planed flat.
              With quality gaskets (such as JAMES), Otis,..

A superior sealer is already impregnated, and adding any other goober defeats it, and just gives the P4gas something to eat!

(Please torque to no more than 10 ft-lbs.)

....Cotten
              AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
              X