32E Generator Shim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32E Generator Shim

I have a 32E gennie that has been converted to a two brush version. When I bought it some parts were missing. I have everything now except the part highlighted in the diagram. Part# 30890-18 which is a .018" shim. I can't seem to locate one anywhere but I suppose I can make one.

- Is it steel?

- What is the critical clearance that it is providing?

Thanks! Inked32E diagram_LI.jpg

Might try asking Dale Cashman who rebuilds generators as a business. I would think he has them as he rebuilds them all the time. You cna find his contact info in the club magazine where he has an ad. He has rebuilt a number of them for me and others I know.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
    AMCA #12766

Comment

You are looking at a misprint in the catalog, that part number is the small shim on the shaft, the one you are describing is a -51 part number used on the later models with big brushes.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I guess you are saying that #47 in the diagram is part number is 30890-18? OK I think I see that looking at a different manual.

I am still curious about the critical clearance this shim is designed to address. Any thoughts?

Comment

Hi gitguy, Generators 32E do not use part #48 (it's a part used in Generators 51R or 58R Radio/Police fancooled). The Harley parts catalog shows it wrong for 32E.
          The armature axial position must be adjusted with several shims #8 . The #47 yes, holds the grease into the rear bearing, not necessary if you install a modern
          on both sides closed bearing with life time lubrication inside, e.g. from SKF. Important is to adjust a correct axial position of the armature with the shims #8. The oil
          deflector # 55 at the drive side must have a seat at the same axle diameter as the front bearing # 17. This point mostly is wrong done when Greenhorns are doing
          an overhaul of a Gen32E.
          Do you need a Regulator for your 2-brush solution? G.L.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Schorsch. The original diagram that I posted was from an online retailer but this one is from the parts manual and does not depict those shims (#8 in the original diagram). I would not have even been aware that they existed if I viewed just the parts manual. Could you explain what you mean by "axial position"? Where is that measurement taken or where if at all is it referenced in the service manual and what is the range of tolerance?

I already have a regulator, thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X