Handlebar Cable Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handlebar Cable Cover

I'm installing the handlebars on my 153 FL. This bike takes the plastic cable cover (P/N 56600-49) located between the handlebar and top tree bracket.

I have no idea where the cover that I have came from, so I'm assuming that its aftermarket and probably fabricated using 'aftermarket' tolerances'. This particular cover doesn't seat into the top fork bracket's oval slot, as its 2-1/2" wide and the bracket's oval slot width 2-1/4". If memory serves (big 'if'), I seem to recall these covers seating slightly into, and being centered by the fork bracket slot. I also remember the handlebar pushing down onto the cover's top flange, thereby pressing it into the fork bracket slightly. Am I mistaken, or is my cover yet another 'quality' product from abroad? If mis-manufactured, who supplies one that fits correctly (I'm assuming Old Dude)?
    Thank you kindly,
    Bill Pedalino
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

The sleeve is held down by the stainless tree cover, not the slot in the tree itself.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I put the front fork for my '51 together about 5 months ago. My top s.s. f-tree cover is old aftermarket, and the plastic cable shroud is new from V-twin. Everything else is genuine H-D and I had no problems. I think I got lucky as I remember doing the same job, on the same bike in the mid '80s and having a whale of time. I suspect it was a combination of poor parts, and a nit-wit builder.
      Last edited by exeric; 10-17-2021, 11:05 AM.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

It appears to come through the cover and not the clamp.
        Attached Files
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

That is a fantastic picture, Chris. Thank you for posting such detailed, and informative pictures from you collection.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I had rough-assembled the front end without installing the top S.S. cover, so I hadn't noticed the interplay between the cover and the plastic piece. I'm sure it will become obvious once I install the S.S. trim piece.

However, to me it seems that the purpose of the plastic cover is defeated, in that it doesn't offer any chaffing protection between the upper fork bracket and the wires, except for the cloth wire loom covering. I suspect that H-D realized that this wasn't necessary, as they eventually eliminated the plastic cover.

Thanks again for the clarification...
            Bill Pedalino
            Huntington, New York
            AMCA 6755

Comment

The cover was decorative, used to hide the clutter between the bars and cover. It was eliminated with the advent of the two-piece bars which used a cast clamp cover to achieve the aesthetic they were after. Neither is about chafing.
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Gotcha Robbie- thanks.
                Bill Pedalino
                Huntington, New York
                AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
                X