Cylinder base stud questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder base stud questions

I got a set of some really nice 59 FLH cases that I am going to build. However I noticed the cylinder base studs need to be replaced the threads on studs looked bad on some of them. I read that these studs are interference type threads. When pulling the old ones out I noticed they were removing some aluminum shavings but not damaged threads look great and were not stripped at all. I'm guessing these were probally heat treated back in the day and made for a tight fit thats why the shavings were there when pulling them out. My question is. I just bought some new NOS oem studs. Should I red loctite them? Or how should I go about this being the originals were removed. Like I said all the case threads are good. Would like to here from someone that's done this job before not opinion. Thanks. My manual doesn't list any info on how to go about changing these.

Originally posted by Panhead_Bobber_11C View Post
    I got a set of some really nice 59 FLH cases that I am going to build. However I noticed the cylinder base studs need to be replaced the threads on studs looked bad on some of them. I read that these studs are interference type threads. When pulling the old ones out I noticed they were removing some aluminum shavings but not damaged threads look great and were not stripped at all. I'm guessing these were probally heat treated back in the day and made for a tight fit thats why the shavings were there when pulling them out. My question is. I just bought some new NOS oem studs. Should I red loctite them? Or how should I go about this being the originals were removed. Like I said all the case threads are good. Would like to here from someone that's done this job before not opinion. Thanks. My manual doesn't list any info on how to go about changing these.
    I usually clean the hole real good and use green loctite on them. They are a tighter thread than you generally find into aluminum but have never had one pull once I put it in.

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post

I usually clean the hole real good and use green loctite on them. They are a tighter thread than you generally find into aluminum but have never had one pull once I put it in.

Jerry
      Ok cool. Yes I cleaned them out good with a 3/8 14 tap. How did you install them With channel locks?. Are they hard to put in being there interference threaded studs?

Comment

Yes, green loctite is how I was told. Double nut the top half to install like any stud, not channel locks.
        AMCA #41287
        1971 Sprint SS350 project
        1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
        1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
        1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
        96" Evo Softail self built chopper
        2012 103" Road King "per diem"
        plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Originally posted by joe fxs fxr View Post
          Yes, green loctite is how I was told. Double nut the top half to install like any stud, not channel locks.
          Cool. Definitely will do as you guys have stated. Appreciate the knowledge. Thanks

Comment

I would guess the cases should be heated before the studs are put in.
            Tom

Comment

I put new studs in my '48 cases a few months ago. I put the first stud in too deep, so I made a quick and dirty gauge to make them all the same. As above, green bearing locktite.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
              X