65 rocker covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 rocker covers

Reinstalling aluminum rocker box covers and D rings on a 65 FL. Anybody using a torque setting for the cover screws? The book says "snug them down to obtain a tight seal". For 66-later, it's 15 ft lbs. Seems a good idea to use a torque wrench to get them all about equally "snug", but it sure would be nice to have a guideline.
    Ride it like you can fix it!

First off, use thin gaskets and sand the flat edges of the covers to show a witness all around. Now, after years of fighting with this, I guess I got old enough to exhibit some patience when installing. Use any color form-a-gasket ( I like black), and run a continuous bead on the head surface and the cover surface. I stick the gasket on the head, and place the cover on. Install the D-rings and the screws JUST SNUG, AND GO DO SOMETHING ELSE FOR 24 HOURS. Come back the next day and determine a tightening pattern. I start with the middle screws on the left and right, and work across the cover from front to back. You could use an inch-pound torque wrench to get them all the same, but I don't and both my panheads don't leak.

Comment

I'll second that, Omar!

(Although choice of goobers is always a personal matter...)

I would only add to bubble-test the screw holes over each intake port before assembly.

.....Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

WOW ... glad I asked! That's quite a procedure, but I'm OCD enough to go along with it. Thanks, Omar and Cotten!

EDIT: a few minutes of sanding makes it abundantly clear why the gasket maker is essential to get them leak proof.
        Last edited by JSB55; 09-29-2021, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JSB55 View Post
          ...EDIT: a few minutes of sanding makes it abundantly clear why the gasket maker is essential to get them leak proof.
          "Gasket maker" is suspenders-and-a-belt. JSB!

Grind and grind some more, until you get full "witness" all around.

Its easiest to do it right the first time.

Beware also that most modern gaskets already have an embedded sealer, which goobers only defeat.

....Cotten

AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

"Gasket maker" is suspenders-and-a-belt. JSB!

Grind and grind some more, until you get full "witness" all around.

Its easiest to do it right the first time.

Beware also that most modern gaskets already have an embedded sealer, which goobers only defeat.

....Cotten
            Agreed on the suspenders *LOL*

I sanded thoroughly and got them nice and even. My first comment was just to remark that they had some high and low spots on the surface itself, in spite of seeming to be flat when placed on glass.

Yup on the gaskets. Fortunately, I had both thick and thin James Gaskets on the shelf ... no sealer. As for the goober, I thought red would be more festive, but basic black just kinda goes with everything ...

Comment

As Omar pointed out, JSB,...

Thin gaskets are best: Fat gaskets only let the cover distort.

Goobers are personal, and I would avoid them if everything else is in order.

....Cotten
              AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                As Omar pointed out, JSB,...

Thin gaskets are best: Fat gaskets only let the cover distort.

Goobers are personal, and I would avoid them if everything else is in order.

....Cotten
                I followed Omar's instructions, and your endorsement. Went thin to win.

Devised a diagonal cross tightening pattern, and went around the horn gently 3 times until all were just "snug".

Now I wait til tomorrow. Tick tock, tick tock.

Comment

Working...
                X