1953 Saddlebag Mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953 Saddlebag Mount

I purchased a VERY nice set of saddlebags for my 1953 FLE at Oley and continue to be impressed by the quality. However, I believe that the mounting plates might be slightly incorrect.

From what I've read in Palmer's book (Pages 840 and 846), The dimpled mounting plates fit over special through-fender studs P/N 90980-48. I have what I believe to be OEM studs and they are 1/4"-28. However, the holes in my saddlebag plates are 5/16" and therefore sloppy on the studs. Can anyone confirm the correct stud thread size and mounting plate hole diameter?

Further complicating the matter, I plan to run the P/N 54304-52 luggage rack which mounts to the 1st and 4th saddlebag stud on each side. This rack requires special shouldered (chrome plated?) nuts, P/N 53457-52 (Palmer page 846). I believe these nuts are chrome plated? Before I start a tedious lathe exercise, does anyone know where I might locate these shoulder nuts? I've reached out to Bart at Old Dude, but haven't heard bas as of yet.

Finally, once mounted, can anyone provide the correct clearance between the bottom of the the -52 luggage rack and the top of the fender?

Thanks and Happy Labor Day!
    Last edited by billpedalino; 09-06-2021, 09:18 AM.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Studs are 1/4"x28. The distance between top of my fender to the bottom edge of the center rail is 1/2" and the fender mounting holes are stock location. Cimerron Cycle Works in NM has real nice repro studs and shoulder bolts if you need any of that. I'm thinking someone drilled out your saddlebag holes for bolts. Mine are worn, but average 9/32" on the best of the 8. I got my shoulder bolts and studs NOS and chromed the bolts, they were cad.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

VERY helpful. Thank You. You confirmed what I already have (OEM mounting studs),
      My problem isn't the holes in the fender - thee aren't any yet. The problem is that the holes in the saddlebag plates are 5/16" which makes hem swim over the 1/2-28 studs.
      Were the chrome star-washers standard with the luggage rack, or did you add them as an accessory? Either way, they look cool.
      Thanks Again,
      Bill Pedalino
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

I put the star washers on for looks w/ the acorn nuts. I can switch back and forth with leather bags. You could drill out the 5/16" holes and use 8 shoulder nuts?

Comment

I can't drill the fender holes larger than 1/4" as I need to use the 1/4" studs to mount the luggage carrier which has the 1/4-28 internal thread in its shouldered nuts. As you know, the nuts screw into the OEM saddlebag studs - if I can ever find the shouldered nuts! Unfortunately, I may have to bore/tap them and turn down the shoulders on my lathe....
          Bill Pedalino
          Huntington, New York
          AMCA 6755

Comment

Cimarron cycle Works sells all the hardware.

https://www.cimarroncycleworks.com/

Comment

Thanks once again Hack - I'll call them...
              Bill Pedalino
              Huntington, New York
              AMCA 6755

Comment

I was in touch with Cimarron Cycle Works. VERY nice people!
                Thank you for the contact Hack.
                Bill Pedalino
                Huntington, New York
                AMCA 6755

Comment

You're welcome. They have nice stuff. I got a bunch of hardware from them for a 50 I'm putting together. John
                  20210618_103923.jpg

Comment

VERY tasteful Bobber-Type Custom John!
                    I received the parts from Cimarron and they fit very well. I then found them in my Colony Catalogue. The best way to find something that you can buy wholesale is to buy it retail First!
                    Bill Pedalino
                    Huntington, New York
                    AMCA 6755

Comment

Colony Machine makes the studs.
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

billpedalino Hey Bill, where did you get your bags from? Are they repops?

thanks,
                        ~scott B.

Comment

Scott,
                          The saddlebags are from Wayne at Heather's Leathers. I'm extremely happy with the quality and Wayne's personal follow-up. He went above and beyond in assisting me, including machining some spacers to insure correct mounting. I bought a couple of bottles of their leather oil to keep them supple. Also, when applied to the outside AND INSIDE surfaces, it turned the color from a very light lime green to the correct darker color shown in the photos. I bought the internal expanders from him as well. While some people like the look, I don't like it when leather bags start to sag.
                          I've used other leather fabricators before, but Heather's is the absolute best, by far!
                          Bill Pedalino
                          Huntington, New York
                          AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
                          X