Solvent for ancient Kreem coating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solvent for ancient Kreem coating?

Anyone know of a first try solvent for age old Kreem gas tank goop?? The stuff is like a silly putty puddle that has settled to the bottom of the tank. Comes out kind of rubbery, almost dry and won't stick to fingers. 20210901_163713.jpg

MEK is the best solvent for Kreem. It's also a really good solvent for most paints so if you don't want to destroy your paint job you must be very, very careful.

Comment

MEK is VERY Good for this. As Slam said is will destroy paint it gets on. I have had some success with boiling hot water off the stove (used a tea pot) My wife is very tolerant.

Comment

Oh forgot to suggest; a pressure washer Just GO EASY use the LEAST power necessary.

Comment

I use the cheapest paste type paint remover I can buy, but I'm sure the expensive stuff works good too. It clings to the sides, and top of tanks, and will dissolve most anything. Much cheaper, and more efficient than MEK, but I do use MEK, or acetone to wash away the residue. I did remove Kreem from a painted Excelsior tank, but you have to take extraordinary measures to protect the outside of the paint. In my experience, a tank liner is used because there is a leak problem with a tank. A mechanical repair is gruesome, expensive, and nasty, but often is the most reliable, and permanent.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Carbon tetrachloride is also used to remove tank liners, and it's in old Pyrene fire extinguishers for the budget minded.

Comment

Turns out a 30min. soak with plain acetone did the trick. It made the goo soluble and I just washed it out the petcock bung. I'm happy, was braced for a fight.

Comment

Working...
              X