#67130-61 Speedometer Drive Ratio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #67130-61 Speedometer Drive Ratio?

I believe part # 67130-61 is for years 1961-1967 speedometers. I was under the impression that these were the 13T 1:1 drive ratio. The bike in question is a "65 FLH with original tombstone speedo and transmission. The center part of the original drive unit ended up rounded out so that the square end of the cable core would just spin. I ordered a new drive unit from an outfit called Flatland Motorcycle Company, that was listed in their online catalog as OEM part 67130-61 but then further along it states that it is a 2:1 drive ratio. I ordered it by OEM part number and did not notice this comment about 2:1 ratio. I installed it and sure enough by speedo is running at 2:1. Here's the response from the seller:

"The speedo drive, I can’t refund because you used it. If your speedo is 1:1, then you’ll need to get the 23 tooth drive gear."

That's absurd to suggest that I can just substitute a 23t for a 13t in order to obtain a 1:1 ratio.

Now I am stuck with a useless speedo drive unit.

Most of the online sellers list just the part number and not the ratio. It doesn't seem possible that the same part number can be either 2:1 or 1:1. So my question is was there an application from 62-67 that ran a 2:1 speedometer? And if so, would it not be a different part #?

Thanks!

Transmission drives were all 1:1 and front wheel drives were mostly 2:1 (or 2240:60). Is it possible you got an aftermarket speedometer that "replaces" # 67130-61 for front wheel drive bikes?
    AMCA #41287
    1971 Sprint SS350 project
    1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
    1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
    1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
    96" Evo Softail self built chopper
    2012 103" Road King "per diem"
    plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Originally posted by joe fxs fxr View Post
      Transmission drives were all 1:1 and front wheel drives were mostly 2:1 (or 2240:60). Is it possible you got an aftermarket speedometer that "replaces" # 67130-61 for front wheel drive bikes?
      It's the original speedometer and it worked fine with the drive unit that was there right up until it failed. Again, the aftermarket replacement unit was listed as OEM part #67130-61 but a 2:1 ratio! Like you said transmission drives from late 61-67 were all 1:1 ratios - that's also what I thought. What baffles me is this was listed as the correct part # but 2:1 drive ratio. I am trying to imagine how that makes sense. I would really like a refund but this dude thinks that just getting the earlier drive unit solves the problem therefore it's my error, even though I ordered the correct part number.

Comment

My 65 FLH has a 4T trans drive gear and the speedometer is the OEM tombstone. Shouldn't any 13T drive unit provide a 1:1 ratio? Either 67130-61 or 67130-62? They are both 13T units.

I can't understand how one of these can be 2:1 and the other 1:1. They both have a 13T gear on a shaft so they should turn at the same rate - no? What am I missing?

Comment

Sorry to bump in here but...what is the ratio for a stock 68 speedo?? How would I reduce the speed shown by 50%
          D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Gitguy, I don't have an answer for you but thought I would post this service bulletin info in case you don't have it. I think the answer is in the 13t meshing with an 8t in '61 then the 13t meshing with a 4t in '62. Must be ratio difference as it states in the first paragraph, I understand it worked before so I don't have an answer. Maybe the caution warning is your answer, maybe you damaged your parts because of incorrect mating of parts to begin with, just a thought?#462A Speedo Bulletin.jpg
            Last edited by BigLakeBob; 08-03-2021, 12:30 PM.
            Bob Rice #6738

Comment

#462A Speedo Bulletin page 2.jpg
              Last edited by BigLakeBob; 08-03-2021, 12:28 PM.
              Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Most of the online sellers list just the part number and not the ratio. It doesn't seem possible that the same part number can be either 2:1 or 1:1. So my question is was there an application from 62-67 that ran a 2:1 speedometer? And if so, would it not be a different part #?
                No,
                Late 1969 thru 1980:
                7-tooth drive gear #35635-69 (orange stripe)
                23-tooth drive unit #67130-69 (3.28, 1000 rpm)

Count the teeth on failed unit and report here.

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
                  I read this bulletin Bob, and it seems to me that the -61 and -62 parts are both 13T drives. My trans has a 4T gear. Therefore I would think that either 13T drive should work. The failed drive unit is 13T. Nothing other than a 13T unit was installed. I read about the incompatibility between the 61 part and 62 and later.

Again, I've seen this 13T drive unit advertised for both 2:1 and 1:1 specifically. I get that the early 1961 speedos and before are 2:1 ratios. The difference should be either 8T or 4T trans gear, not the drive unit.

Next up, swap the drive unit from my 66 FLH that works perfect and see what happens.

unnamed (1).pngunnamed.png

Comment

Running into the same problem. Both the failed and the new assemblies that I have count 13 teeth on the gear, but I noticed something peculiar. It appears to me that the the new gear's teeth cover a shorter distance from top to bottom than the old gear's teeth. Also, the old gear is larger in diameter than the new one, albeit being a little difficult 20220821_115532.jpg to measure accurately due to the odd number of teeth. The old gear is approximately .595" and the new one is ~.560". This would preclude that the aftermarket unit is just made wrong, and will not mesh with a 4 tooth gear on the countershaft. Anybody encounter this?

Comment

May have answered my own question. Noticed that there are 2 different gears that go on the counter shaft. One is 4 teeth, and the other is 8. That would explain the pitch difference on the gear in the assembly that slides into the tranny.

Comment

Working...
                      X