Can i use 6 volt stock coil with 12 volt system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i use 6 volt stock coil with 12 volt system

I'm wiring up my 1960 FLH I have only wired up 1 bike before so excuse me if it's a dumb question. But I got this really nice original paint 6 volt coil I found in a crate of my spare knuckle parts. I switched over to 12 volt generator and battery. I'm guessing it won't work unless I get either two 6 volt coils or one 12 volt coil correct?

Originally posted by Panhead_Bobber_11C View Post
    I'm wiring up my 1960 FLH I have only wired up 1 bike before so excuse me if it's a dumb question. But I got this really nice original paint 6 volt coil I found in a crate of my spare knuckle parts. I switched over to 12 volt generator and battery. I'm guessing it won't work unless I get either two 6 volt coils or one 12 volt coil correct?
    You could use the coil but you would to use a ballast resistor to reduce the voltage. Probably easier to find a good 12v coil.
    Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post

You could use the coil but you would to use a ballast resistor to reduce the voltage. Probably easier to find a good 12v coil.
      Jerry
      You are working on a really nice bike I assume so don't cheap out now, besides that 6 volt coil might come in handy later.
      #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

Working...
      X