Intake Oring for 64 FLH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake Oring for 64 FLH

Is there a cross reference to a standard Oring size for the intake seals or are they special?
    Thanks
    Jason Zerbini
    Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Originally posted by Skirted View Post
    Is there a cross reference to a standard Oring size for the intake seals or are they special?
    Thanks
    They are special if you want them to last, Skirted!

JAMES Gaskets offers the -55 O-ring in true Viton, and I highly recommend them over Buna-N or other nitriles.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thank you Tom for the quick reply!
      I kind of thought they might be special since I couldn't find anything in online search about a cross reference. Been going through the basics on this bike and knew something wasn't right with carb as it was not responding properly to adjustments so pulled to inspect. Float adj way too high and about .030 gap in the needle head to forked lever Yes .030 not .003! Then the mounting flange to intake was bowed terribly with a good .025 gap on 3 sides laying straight edge across bolt holes. Got that all corrected. HD Friend Todd said he had an intake tester to check seals if I wanted it and thanks to you hammering the importance into everyone's head about intake leaks, I did the test and sure enough they were leaking profusely. I'm surprised the bike was running as good as it was. Once it goes back together I expect the panhead will start as good as the Chief! That's my lofty goal anyway.
      Jason Zerbini

Comment

Please test while reassembling, Skirted!

As it will prevent over-tightening.

(And please use clamps with only a #10 screw fastener, not a bolt.)

Good luck finding the JAMES Gaskets (JGI-27060-55-V) O-rings from the major catalog suppliers, as I fear they want to sell the cheap crap first. Independent pro shops usually deal with JAMES direct.

Again, Good Luck!

...Cotten
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-14-2021, 03:02 PM.
        AMCA #776

Comment

I don't know if OEM are a special size but I use these viton from McMaster Carr. ORing # 326. McMaster # 9464K48. $14.46 for qty. 10. https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/127...InpBox=9464K48 They actually go on the lip better than what is bought from mc suppliers. Disclaimer, just my opinion but been running them for years on my pan and early shovel. You can spec the ORing # and decide for yourself if the size will work for your needs. Good luck. DSC06666.JPG
          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

The JAMES vitons are liver-red, Bob!

I wonder what the difference is?

The red stuff did fantastic in my immersion tests, although it did stain..

VITNTST.jpg

Common O-rings swoll into gummyworms.

P4ORING1.jpg

Soak one for us, Bob?

....Cotten
            PS: Please!
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-14-2021, 05:34 PM.
            AMCA #776

Comment

Soak one for us, Bob?

....Cotten
              PS: Please![/QUOTE]

I'll try and do that over the weekend, just reg pump gas, how long in the soak?? I don't do so many pre application tests as you seem to do, (I appreciate your robust testing as you have customers to satisfy just not yourself), but my running application for years has proved no ill results. I will try to do a pre test measurement and after soaking measurement per your photo. Viton doesn't have to be red in my experience, don't know why the difference.

Adding thought here, just because something changes in the free state doesn't mean it won't perform in the constrained state, right? It is captured by the lip of the manifold and the head then captured by the clamp and sandwiched between the head and manifold. Swelling is not to say impossible, but kept to a very minimum with all sides captured, in my opinion. It can't go anywhere, the main function is to stand up to the chemicals added to it correct? I will do the test because I am also curious but I do feel it is a mute point since it is captured on all sides.

Bob
              Last edited by BigLakeBob; 05-14-2021, 06:25 PM.
              Bob Rice #6738

Comment

If the red stuff doesn't change after weeks in the pee, Bob,...

But maybe if the black stuff does, that's a serious clue.

Here's ordinary stuff "all sides captured" by some super-clamps...

image_28750.jpg

When it swells, it has to go somewhere.

....Cotten
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-14-2021, 07:39 PM.
                AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
                  I don't know if OEM are a special size but I use these viton from McMaster Carr. ORing # 326. McMaster # 9464K48. $14.46 for qty. 10. https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/127...InpBox=9464K48 They actually go on the lip better than what is bought from mc suppliers. Disclaimer, just my opinion but been running them for years on my pan and early shovel. You can spec the ORing # and decide for yourself if the size will work for your needs. Good luck. DSC06666.JPG
                  Todd dropped off intake orings for me last evening which were purchased from a MC supplier. I measured the ID, OD, and cross section and agree; confidently its #326. Viton is well known for chemical resistance and high heat characteristics so would be the logical choice for this application. Thanks Bob - Good Info!
                  Jason Zerbini

Comment

DuckDuckGo tells me, Folks,...

There's four kinds of Viton, depending upon fluorine content, and it needs to be high for fuels.

(A fifth is the fake 'viton' Linkert floatvalve needles from Old Delhi.)
                    VITON not.jpg

We know black viton can be good viton, but you'll never be sure which you have until you soak it in the soup.

....Cotten
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-15-2021, 11:54 AM.
                    AMCA #776

Comment

I had problems with the viton Linkert float valve needles sticking. I'm talking about ones that I bought over 20 years ago. I probably bought them from Midwest M/C Supply. I still have one left. I think they are from Taiwan. CIMG2093.JPG

Comment

They were distributed by DIXIE, Craig,...

Which is why I believe they were from India, although they varied; Note how this one is poorly ground to a point, instead of molded like my previous pic.

RUBBRTIP.jpg

Another clue pointing to India is the "English Brass" that corrodes so easily.

viton4.jpg

....Cotten
                        AMCA #776

Comment

It may have been Dixie. I was a dealer for both. Dixie always had the best prices !

Comment

My guess, Craig,...

Dixie was the original importer, and Midwest, Tedd, etc., were extra middlemen.

One of DIXIE's suppliers is still in business, although it looks like they moved to New Delhi: https://www.tradeindia.com/Seller-28...E-AUTO-AGENCY/

Since I do not have a mobile number, I couldn't really search the site.

....Cotten

AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
                              I have been using o rings from McMaster Carr also but they are brown. Can't seem to find the part # but it says size 326, material Viton, Durometer:75. Shelf life 20 years. Looks like they are made by usasealing.

Comment

Working...
                              X