Glide Riser Bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glide Riser Bushings

I've a set of risers that need to be replated. I placed one in my 5 ton hydraulic press to remove the bushing. I keep pushing and the rubber gives, but goes right back where it was when I back off the press. I'm almost afraid to push anymore. Should I use heat ? Since my shop is in my basement, I can hear my wife yelling at me about the delicious burning rubber smell.

Originally posted by 41craig View Post
    I've a set of risers that need to be replated. I placed one in my 5 ton hydraulic press to remove the bushing. I keep pushing and the rubber gives, but goes right back where it was when I back off the press. I'm almost afraid to push anymore. Should I use heat ? Since my shop is in my basement, I can hear my wife yelling at me about the delicious burning rubber smell.
    I'm really really confused, Craig!

If you are afraid of damaging the rubber, how can you begin to consider heat?

(Although I hear Thermite cures everything.)

My guess is that your press pucks need improvement. Mine always do.

...Cotten
    PS: Hydraulic presses don't break things. Just the operator who should have known better.
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-23-2021, 03:58 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I don't care about the rubber. I have new bushings to install once they return from St. Louis Plating. I'm wandering if some penetrating oil may help in the removal.

Comment

I am guessing from your description you might make a puck or use a socket or washers or something so you can press on the od of the bushing, the metal retainer. If you aplly heat around the bushing you dont need to get the rubber smoking to help, just warm it up and press quick.
        Dan Margolien
        Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
        Www.yankeechapter.org
        Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

If you push them out the inner will shear away from the outer sleeve which will be left in the riser. That is normal. The outer sleeve can be split with a hacksaw blade, careful use of a Sawzall, or a Dremel. But if you don't split it you may never get it out. Once split use a sharp thin chisel to get it to peel away from the housing and it will fall out.It is thin so don't go crazy on it. Be sure to install the cupped washer correctly on the top of the new insert before installing it. The new insert must be pushed from the outer edge until it seats against the machined step in the riser. Then the other cupped washer goes on the bottom between the insert and top tree.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks all for the detailed info. I'll update on my progress.

Comment

Please compare, Craig,..

The OD of the new 'bushings' with the bores in the tree.

I can remember turning Tedd's down.

And then the rubber was so soft, I made spacers to mount the risers solid.

.....Cotten
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks for the heads up !!

Comment

Working...
                X