Hub sleeve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hub sleeve

I'm building up the wheels for my '51FL and discovered this sleeve sticking out too far. Of course I took the front, and back hubs apart to see if I had put a thrust washer in the wrong place. As you can see in the picture; the green dot sleeve's smaller bearing race is shorter than the 2 pink dot sleeves and it was the green dot sleeve that protruded. I had a stepped hub that I got at a swap meet many years ago; it was shot to hell but the guts were good. Is this an early sleeve? The book says these sleeves went from '37-54 p.n. 43550-35, roller bearing sleeve. I guess I'm looking for a later sleeve, but just curious what it is. Thanks.

in axel.jpg1.jpg
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

image_28226.jpg
    Originally posted by exeric View Post
    I'm building up the wheels for my '51FL and discovered this sleeve sticking out too far. Of course I took the front, and back hubs apart to see if I had put a thrust washer in the wrong place. As you can see in the picture; the green dot sleeve's smaller bearing race is shorter than the 2 pink dot sleeves and it was the green dot sleeve that protruded. I had a stepped hub that I got at a swap meet many years ago; it was shot to hell but the guts were good. Is this an early sleeve? The book says these sleeves went from '37-54 p.n. 43550-35, roller bearing sleeve. I guess I'm looking for a later sleeve, but just curious what it is. Thanks.

in axel.jpg1.jpg
    The sleeve in the middle is for 1935 to 1939 step hubs. They did not used the washer behind the small end bearing cage and did not have the removable thrust shoulder inside the big end of the hub. I usually convert the early hubs to the later sleeve.

The photo is of a small end star hub cage I removed years ago from an early step hub. Just on the verge of failure. The washer added a wider area to run against.

Jerry
    Last edited by Jerry Wieland; 04-09-2021, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Good information, Jerry. Thanks.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
      X