17611-48 Rocker Arm Bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Cotten,
    haven’t fired this engine yet... getting closer.... hopefully a few more weeks until I do...hopefully they perform ok...
    Attached Files

Comment

Haven't located my 'blue-printed' blocks yet, Folks,...

But I found a tool I haven't used!

RKRTOOLS.jpg

On top is an un-used 7/8" expanding diamond lapp from Caterpillar salvage, back before cheap diamond tools. I suspect it might be a Sidley.
      (On the bottom is my veteran rockerblock torque plate.)

Machining two different metals in the same operation can be tricky, as even honing tends to eat more of the softer material. I am hoping the diamond tool won't know the difference, but will have to wait until the weather breaks...

....Cotten
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-31-2021, 02:56 PM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Weather broke, Folks!

And I found the rest of the stash; There was a dozen or so loose arms, including one where.the gallery was plugged with filler rod like the one on the left, where filler rod was shoved too far..

PLGDRCKR.jpg
        And I can't suck any air by it. Otherwise, it shows no unusual wear. Some are worn on the shaft you can feel it with your thumb.

The blocks I 'blueprinted' decades ago survived wonderfully in their preservative paper wraps...

RKRPAPR.jpg

The profile where the blocks were ground remains bright, as does the dressed arm pad, etc.

But since I reconditioned these B.P., (Before Palmer's)... they are nearly all #1 blocks, with just one #2 intake stamped 'F' at the lower left ....

RKRSDONE.jpg

Note that all eight on the right have '48-'49 arms. On the left are blocks with mated later arms, but not a set.

These are clean and ready to install, Folks!

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
        X