Shiko tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy chaps,

One glance at the tread pattern on a Shinko 270 reveals why handling might be questionable to some, the tread siping is open down the center and unsupported. Anyone familiar with the original dreadful Coker Classics modeled after era Goodyear’s will recognize this. Later Goodyear’s closed this as did Coker as you’ll note by their current offering. I had open on front and later design closed on the back of my Knuckle when purchased and it’s stability could only be described as “greasy” no matter what air pressure I ran. Seemed to get slightly better as they wore with less squirm on shorter tread. Night before their last road run switched ends with limited happiness but they were immediately replaced afterward with Coker Firestones. Admittedly I and my trinket encrusted machine, especially with passenger, quite heavy on a primitive rigid with springer, which might not have helped.
    Cheerio,
    Peter
    1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Originally posted by Architect View Post
      I had Shinko's on my '70 Shovel, worst tires I have ever had on a motorcycle. Bad death wobble. Turned out the rear tire was "out of round" per Shinko, they sent me a new one. All the labor was on me. Second tire was better but riding solo I would still get a wobble at highway speed. Riding to Terryville I had to slow down to 45 MPH to get it to stop. Went to modern Dunlops and all of my troubles have gone away. I would never use them again, glad others are having better results. Intended speed could be a factor, my FLH will cruise at 70 MPH all day, maybe on something intended for back roads and 45 MPH only would have a different result. Good luck.
      Same experience here on my 1971 FLH Shovel. I am the road capt for the local AMCA and also ride my shovel across country. Severe "death" wobble about 50-55 mph where most of club riding is done here in the Midwest (Nebraska and Iowa) where we have long straight roads. Grooved roads and smooth roads, same effect. I'm such a cheap ass, I was determined to get my moneys worth out of them, so I tolerated them. They did get better after a couple thousand miles of wear but the handling problems were always there. I rode it from Iowa to NC, including the tail of the dragon, and had about 15k miles on the tires when I finally got fed up with them. I changed back to Dunlop American Elites and instantly the problems went away. Never again will I use stinko tires.
      Scott Larson
      AMCA #13589
      Omaha Chapter

1953 HD FLE
      1971 HD FLH
      1971 Triumph Bonneville 650
      1973 Norton Commando 750

Comment

Squirrelly on rain grooves!

Comment

Working...
        X