Paint not generally considered correct but shown on a order blank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint not generally considered correct but shown on a order blank

I have a 1950 FL. Using an order blank for 1950 models, owned by a friend and on display in his museum, I chose to paint this bike 'Burgundy'. This order blank was aquired in the purchase of a long-closed dealers entire inventory of H-D parts, etc. It is definetly the real deal. Accordingly, we used a can of the original paint, also aquired in the same lot of items, to generate the color now on the '50.
    After the fact, I found that this is a standard 1949 color, but not listed on other 1950 order blanks that I have since seen. It is not shown in H-D's own official publication "The Legend Begins" on their 1950 order blank. The order blank we used listed the standard optional colors, seen on other blanks, at a price of $10 extra (!), as do other blanks. The burgundy was listed as a $13 color option in addition to those colors.
    So...how would this be handled in a judging situation - can anyone enlighten me? Lord knows, I do not want to repaint and do not feel I should have to. Nor should points be deducted for incorrect paint.
    Any comments or advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Lonnie

Panhead paint

You have nothing to worry about as the AMCA has a rule on paint colors, you can use any color or combination of colors for 5 years prior or later. I would get a copy of the order blank however and put it in the judging portfolio as documented proof, if it is available why not use it for insurance. After all us judges do not know everything.

Comment

Thank you very much, Carl. I will definetly try to get a copy of that order blank. However, I would like to know if anyone else has seen other copies of this blank, where Burgundy is listed as a $13 option in 1950. (After all, inquiring minds need to know!). Also, is this a common situation, where some H-D blanks may list colors or other options not shown on blanks from the same year?

Thanks again,
      Lonnie

Comment

Working...
      X