What is your favorite bike to ride?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eddiepanhead View Post
    Finally got my 26BA running / riding. By far, the most fun riding that I've had in a long time.
    Pulls hard for a small machine. Cant imagine doing 100mph on one of these........
    Eddie, You could run the 26BA on the 1/2 Mile at 2021 Wauseon, in the Board Track Class.

*M.A.D.*

Comment

Originally posted by droptopford View Post
      My brother (long-time Gold Wing rider) would tell you that my favorite rider is whichever one starts. He's a smartass... but sometimes he's got a point.
      I dig that ;-)

I usually do the "who has gas" dance when choosing a favorite.

I refuse to own bikes I don't enjoy riding.

But, I don't believe in having just one bike to "do it all." I've tried that from time to time. But at the end of the day I prefer to have several less expensive fun bikes vs one more expensive universal machine. Basically, for the cost many good harley or Indian big twins, you can own a lot of other bikes.

Question to really ask is what sort of mileage are you REALLY going to rack up? A lot of guys dream of 10000-25000 mile years, but most don't ever tour their bikes very far. A lot of riding is really 1000 mile or less round trips. And, who wants to drone on the interstate? So, if you are more typical, focusing on a bike that is glassy smooth at 50-65mph on two lanes is a solid bet. All the big twins mentioned here fit that bill.

But, what if you don't like heavier bikes? What if you also live in the city and want to easily blast around on errands? Enter cheaper classics.

I've really come to adore riding 1957-69 sportsters. At 50-65, they roll very nicely.

For runs less than 100 miles each way, I really enjoy riding any of my sportsters. I most often choose my '59, I just dig that bike.

For mid runs of 50-150 mikes, I choose one of the Guzzis. Usually the '69 ambassador.

For long runs or when I want to crank, I take the 79 goose sport tourer. It will hit 159,000 mikes this week, so, yeah, it's comfortable. I like that old dog so much I took it on my first National Road earlier this year.

Then, when I want to have 30-50 miles of pure fun, but accept my butt will hate me, I take out a harley sprint. Damn fun bike.vibration is a killer, but sooooooooooo much fun.

Basically, I find I prefer light bikes for most rides, and a heavy bike for interstate touring.

Comment

of my 35 or so various HD's from 1910 to 1982, my favorite to ride is a 34VD. it's vey nimble on it's 19" wheels & with the very low & wide speedster bars it handles great. it also is my favorite paint color scheme of any HD ever made, Orlando Orange & Black. previously AMCA judged 99.25 points, it's a beauty!
        my second favorite to ride is a 25JDCB on 19" drop center wheels. it's a great handling bike, other than the brakes. i plan to convert it to a disc someday.
        3rd is a 35VLD, 4th is a 38UL, 5th is a 39EL.

Comment

1929 74 cubic inches JDH
          http://www.harley-memories.com
          http://harley8valves.wordpress.com/
          AMCA Membership#5701

Comment

Go to bike is a 36 VLD

Comment

Originally posted by vph-d View Post
              My 51 or 57. Least favorite is my overweight 65...
              VPH-D
              I just got a 65 which made me think of the question. I definitely have to be in a mood for cadillac driving.

Comment

Originally posted by HDSmitty View Post
                Go to bike is a 36 VLD
                I have heard this quite a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead 61 View Post
                  of my 35 or so various HD's from 1910 to 1982, my favorite to ride is a 34VD. it's vey nimble on it's 19" wheels & with the very low & wide speedster bars it handles great. it also is my favorite paint color scheme of any HD ever made, Orlando Orange & Black. previously AMCA judged 99.25 points, it's a beauty!
                  my second favorite to ride is a 25JDCB on 19" drop center wheels. it's a great handling bike, other than the brakes. i plan to convert it to a disc someday.
                  3rd is a 35VLD, 4th is a 38UL, 5th is a 39EL.
                  Thanks for sharing. You have ridden a lot of bikes also which is worth noting.

Comment

Beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Wilcock View Post
                      1940 Four. Everyday driver for 40 years. Smooth with NO vibration, comfortable and reliable. 8500 mile trip to Yukon and Alaska in 2004 and 4500 mile trip to east coast in 2009. With leaf spring fork watch out for potholes.
                      Tom
                      I would have never guessed. Repairs and maintenance is not an issue?

Comment

Only repair on Alaska trip was to replace a broken rocker arm pivot bolt and the resulting broken clevis on the side of the road. Exhaust valve springs were collapsing because they would not withstand heat. Oil consumption was high. Found out later that Ross Pistons did not supply the proper rings for their pistons resulting in high oil consumption. Carried some oil for adding and oil changes and bought oil on the way. East coast trip had no issues. I had installed new rings. Oil consumption down to 1 QT every 700 miles. I had some chromium-silicon valve springs made. They withstand 100 degree higher temp than chromium-vanadium. Made a huge difference. 73,000 miles and counting. Best bike ever made!
                        Tom

Comment

Just to prove I am not BS-ing. Cape Spear in Newfoundland is as far east one can go in North America without getting wet.
                          TomAlaska 001.jpgCape Spear 001.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Wilcock View Post
                            Just to prove I am not BS-ing. Cape Spear in Newfoundland is as far east one can go in North America without getting wet.
                            Tom[ATTACH=CONFIG]30197[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]30198[/ATTACH]
                            Awesome. Glad to see people putting in a lot of miles on an antique

Comment

Working...
                            X