No announcement yet.

1954-1964 Deluxe Solo Saddle? With Plastic Cover or without Channel? [PHOTOS]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1954-1964 Deluxe Solo Saddle? With Plastic Cover or without Channel? [PHOTOS]

Anyone have a photo of a 1954-1964 (diamond spot-style) Deluxe Solo Saddle? Or, ever see one (a) with a plastic cover or (b) without a channel or (c) with a date code stamp prior to 1964?

As to the channel (picture below), some people say that the seat did not have a channel from 1954 to 1964 and point to factory photos as evidence. I can’t see the channel in some factory photos, but I believe that I can see the channel in some factory photos. Other than in factory photos where I couldn’t see the channel, I have never seen an OEM Deluxe Solo Saddle without a channel.

As to the cover, according to HD literature, Deluxe Solo Saddles had Royalite plastic covers (and plastic skirts) from about August 28, 1950 to at least about 1964 (with possible exceptions for 1951 and 1963). I believe that I have seen rosette-style Deluxe Solo Saddles with leather covers, but I am not sure about diamond-style Deluxe Solo Saddles.

Photo 1:

Photo 2:

Photo 3:

[END]
    Fletcher Clark Johnston
    AMCA #282

The plastic seat covers came in 53 or 54, the skirt is sewn to the leather strip below the seat, the ribs may be hidden under the seat cover, no idea when the ribs arrived or left.

Comment

Originally posted by 1950Panhead View Post
      The plastic seat covers came in 53 or 54, the skirt is sewn to the leather strip below the seat, the ribs may be hidden under the seat cover, no idea when the ribs arrived or left.
      Thank you for the response. The ribs are different than the channel. The channel (pictured in original post in Photo 1 with blue background) is a strip of plastic and method of attachment located in between the housing (aka skirt) and the cover on some (or most or all) 1954-later (diamond style) Deluxe Solo Saddles (PN 52006-47A).

As to the channel, some people say the channel wasn’t used until 1964 and point to factory photos as evidence. But, I believe that the channel is visible in some factory photos and that the channel was used prior to 1964 (and possibly for all production versions).

As to the Royalite plastic cover, according to HD literature, Royalite plastic covers for the Deluxe Solo Saddle were officially introduced in 1950 (per excerpt August 28, 1950 News Bulletin below). Some people say that plastic covers replaced leather covers until 1964. But, I believe that both leather covers and plastic covers were used for some years.

I haven’t ever seen a production diamond style Deluxe Solo Saddle with a plastic cover or without a channel. But, if people say that all production versions for 1954-1964 had plastic covers and no channels, then I assume that they may exist.

Excerpt:

[END]
      Fletcher Clark Johnston
      AMCA #282

Comment

If it helps at all the Deluxe Solo seat I bought new from Harley Davidson in 1987, when they were still high quality, has that exact "channel" in your photo.

Comment

Originally posted by K. Felt View Post
          If it helps at all the Deluxe Solo seat I bought new from Harley Davidson in 1987, when they were still high quality, has that exact "channel" in your photo.
          Thank you. That is helpful. Trying to track features and changes. Was focusing more on older stuff for my own purposes when I first started looking at stuff, but scope kind of expanded along the way. I do like having a more complete picture and will take any and all data I can get. I believe that the pommel changed from riveted to welded in about 1974 or 1975 and I know that there were many other changes (e.g., covers; skirts; shells; bindings; pommels; rivets; stamping practices; etc.). But, I don't have hardly any data after the 70s. Thanks again for sharing info.
          Fletcher Clark Johnston
          AMCA #282

Comment

Originally posted by K. Felt View Post
            Same here. I have two Deluxe Solo seats bought new from H-D circa 1985 to 1990. Both have exact channel in photo #1.

Comment

Originally posted by droptopford View Post
              Same here. I have two Deluxe Solo seats bought new from H-D circa 1985 to 1990. Both have exact channel in photo #1.
              Thank you. Coincidentally, the below seat (possibly 1988) recently popped up on ebay. I believe that the channel was likely always there. I can't explain why it isn't visible in some factory photos, but I'm pretty sure it is visible in at least some photos from the very beginning. Pretty comfortable relying on Paquette over HD factory photos and literature especially when what I can see seems consistent and supports what he says.

Photo 1:

[END]
              Fletcher Clark Johnston
              AMCA #282

Comment

Please let me know if you disagree, but I believe that two (2) distinct lines of stitching (including (i) the line of top stitch sewing in the cover and (ii) the line of stitching in the channel) are visible in the photo below (from a 1958 catalog) and photo 2 above (from a 1957 catalog).

The images appear to be slightly different "renderings" of the same image. Note that the channel has a flatter surface area and may reflect light differently. I don't know whether or how much the images were modified.

Although changes were made to the design and production versions of this style seat, HD chose to use this same image (or a very similar image) in dealer and rider accessory catalogs in and from about February 1954 until about February 1965.

Photo:

[END]
                Fletcher Clark Johnston
                AMCA #282

Comment

Working...
                X