1965 Panhead Shift Lever 33660-65 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 Panhead Shift Lever 33660-65 question

Can anyone shed some light on the differences between the different shift levers used during the period between 1965 and 1975? I'm restoring a 1965 which has a shift lever that has pressed / brazed in shafts, however I see a NOS 33660-65 on EBay which has welded shafts. Just to confuse me more I came across a shift lever that has the pressed / brazed construction method but the shaft portion the passes through the bracket was considerably longer than my worn out original. Every version I'm referring to so far has non-splined shaft to accept a non-splined shifter. I realize the lever was updated to the splined version but not sure what year that change took place. Now just to add some excitement to the puzzle, my original lever has a slot machined into it as shown in the attached photo. Any info regarding the slot would be great. In the end it may have been a non-factory modification but I'm just not sure. Thanks in advance, Bill
    shift arm slot.jpgshift arm 1.jpg

The one on the right is 70 & later (until splined) everything 70 & later is longer; Engine Sprocket Shaft, Trans Main Shaft, Clutch Pushrod. I've never seen the slot...

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation on the length, makes sense. I was informed recently by a buddy that his original 1976 FLH still used a non-splined shift arm but it was the welded construction. Still curious as to when the motor company changed from pressed / brazed to welded construction.

Comment

Working...
      X