Transmission main drive nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission main drive nut

Has anyone used the DUO-SEAL NUT to secure the drive sprocket. That shaft is splined so I just can't see how this nut with seal built into it can really seal anything or am I missing something?

Yes, I have used one on my 1977 flh, but the nut will not fit my 1966. Anyhow, I just used the nut for added insurance as my mainshaft and bushing were tight.

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
      Yes, I have used one on my 1977 flh, but the nut will not fit my 1966. Anyhow, I just used the nut for added insurance as my mainshaft and bushing were tight.
      I really did not answer your question with my reply. Isn't the seals real purpose just to deflect the oil from getting into the primary case by not allowing oil to get past the sprocket? I think this is all this seal is used for really and not a total fix. I am sure someone else will chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
        I really did not answer your question with my reply. Isn't the seals real purpose just to deflect the oil from getting into the primary case by not allowing oil to get past the sprocket? I think this is all this seal is used for really and not a total fix. I am sure someone else will chime in.
        Its been too long, Ryan,..

But I thought that there were several productions with just a seal upon the mainshaft ("Supernuts"}, and they required a -65 drive gear with its seal removed.

And I think the "Duo" meant an o-ring up against the sprocket itself..

Obviously, the mainshaft seal was a band-aid, and the 0-ring only made you feel good, since its only going to leak when the sprocket comes loose, and leak out the other side too.

Its been many years, but we called them 'stupidnuts', particularly when they interfered with primary support bearings and everything else.

I'm sure they sold a milllion.

...Cotten
        PS: If the sprocket comes loose, you want to know it soon. Hopefully, its the oil that tells you first.
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-15-2020, 04:02 PM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
        X